Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
If Flashblock is for blocking Flash, why don't you just disable it in the plug-in section of the browser?
Or am i saying something stupid now?

Ton.
Flashblock will block (disable) Flash by default (so no more adverts) but allow Flash on sites where I actually want to view Flash (ie. youtube).

You basically create a "white list" of sites where Flash is permitted. It's the best extension for Firefox on the desktop IMHO! On the N800 it will be awesome as you won't be wasting cpu cycles (and thus battery) displaying Flash adverts you never really look at, but youtube will be unaffected (once it's added to the white list).

Toontje, Flashblock (I'm guessing!) allows for selective blocking of flash on certain sites, instead of having to manually toggle flash on/off.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Weird, I've yet to see a single crash with flash always on in microb or Opera.
Opera blew up on me when I tried to run linerider.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I wonder if it will be possible to fix bug #1006 with an extension? My idea would be a whitelist that prevents the backlight from kicking in.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Opera blew up on me when I tried to run linerider.
Linerider worked fine for me. Well, the drawing did. The Dude just ran across the track in SLOOOOOW motion. But Opera didn't crash.

Ton.

Flashblock lets you selectively block flash. It puts a placeholder in place of the actual object and doesn't load the object until you click on it. It also lets you whitelist certain objects/sites so that they load automatically. It lets you avoid a lot of adds and other unneeded annoyances, making better use of your available bandwidth, without needing to constantly disable/enable the flash plugin.

Anything that stops adds from slowing my tablet down sounds good to me.

Also I think https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136 Would be good to add to this adblock so it knows what to block.

AdBlock Plus integrates a subscription manager already.

it does in Firefox, but you have to choose which list you want to subscribe to. Did the tablet version subscibe to any list?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
Once I can actually -test- this, I intend to play with it and get it working --- I could not resist posting a teaser, though
So it doesn't work yet? What did i install then? Just a proof of concept that plug-ins can be installed? Or am i overseeing something?

Ton.