Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello,
Is it possible to enable dialling a linked phone number directly from MicroB (or any other browser in Maemo)?
I.e. the phone number is displayed on the page as a link, I click that link, the phone app starts itself, the number is dialled?
Thanks, Ben

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I just used microB and used Google to search Sears Oklahoma City. There was an 800 number hyperlinked. I clicked it and the phone application opened and all that was required of me to complete the call was to click the green call button. I prefer this behavior to putting the call right through because I do click the wrong link from time to time! I am in the US if that makes any difference.

I am using CSSU 15, kernel power 46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
I agree. It would be very usefull if phone number links would work.

The Following User Says Thank You to matd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
I just used microB and used Google to search Sears Oklahoma City. There was an 800 number hyperlinked. I clicked it and the phone application opened and all that was required of me to complete the call was to click the green call button. I prefer this behavior to putting the call right through because I do click the wrong link from time to time! I am in the US if that makes any difference.

I am using CSSU 15, kernel power 46.
Yes, I guess requiring to press the send-key first to confirm the call does make a lot of sense.
However, my N900 doesn't even get me that far, I get a message saying:
"not possible, address type not supported: wtai://wp/mc;<phonenumber> ".

Maybe this is a feature added only now in the CSSU? Cause I haven't installed that yet, still running on PR 1.3.
CSSU changelog doesn't mention this though, plus MicroB code hasn't been published.

I don't suppose this would be enabled in one national firmware release and disabled in another one (Austria, in my case), but who knows...?

In fact, does anyone know?
Thanks, Ben

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2011-07-13 at 00:33.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Yes, I guess requiring to press the send-key first to confirm the call does make a lot of sense.
However, my N900 doesn't even get me that far, I get a message saying:
"not possible, address type not supported: wtai://wp/mc;<phonenumber> ".

Maybe this is a feature added only now in the CSSU? Cause I haven't installed that yet, still running on PR 1.3.
CSSU changelog doesn't mention this though, plus MicroB code hasn't been published.

I don't suppose this would be enabled in one national firmware release and disabled in another one (Austria, in my case), but who knows...?

In fact, does anyone know?
Thanks, Ben
Bump

No one else interested in this feature?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Hello,
Is it possible to enable dialling a linked phone number directly from MicroB (or any other browser in Maemo)?
I.e. the phone number is displayed on the page as a link, I click that link, the phone app starts itself, the number is dialled?
Thanks, Ben
I'm not sure how relevant this is with PR1.3 but previously you had to modify home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js adding the following two lines:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.warn-external.sip", false);
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.warn-external.tel", false);

Restart the browser and it should allow you to click phone numbers where appropriate, dialing immediately.

I'm guessing that the phone number has to be enclosed within href='tel:<number>' or the S60 variant href='wtai://wp/mc;<number>' before it works though. I'd imagine most web designers don't do this at the moment, I know I never have, but I'll start today :-)

Last edited by dchky; 2011-07-17 at 05:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post: