Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
I agree on same ui standards but wont it be better to avoid implementing microb ui 'mistakes' into qml browser? Like having add bookmark icon on toolbar is pointless since its already on context menu (and its better there) so a forward page (which is wierdly enough not even present in microb) will be of more use there, also bookmarks can be on menu and reload page can take its place. The enter address field's area (and its arrow area) and toolbar are taking some unneccessary space imho like microb (see attached image), enter address field should be like its on opera mini (on the slim terms i mean) the down arrow icon can be a bit smaller too (like the reload icon on opera mini perhaps?), itll help slimming down toolbar (would be great if it could be almost as slimmer as opera mini's bottom bar) which will look better and maybe even create some space for webpages and maybe even for a extra icon (which can be menu?). On starting the browser, instead of opening a seprate bookmark type window (which it currently opens, and i can see no sense in that) it could open only a "about:blank" in a normal browser window (would be much better). Also history can be on menu instead of right swipe, left swipe to bring mousemode for copy text on page makes more sense in context menu as "Select text" or something. These are my suggestions, what my point is instead of a 100% clone of microb, qml browser can be a improved microb.
Well, you say you agree on adhering to the UI standards, then go on to make a number of suggestions (like altering textfield and toolbar sizes) that deviate from those standards. The components were written for the sole purpose of creating user interfaces that adhere to the Hildon UI standards using QML code.

Besides, I like the MicroB UI. That's why I copied it.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Update.

qml-browser (0.5.1)

* Added support for command line arguments (supported arguments are --url=$URL and --full_screen to force fullscreen).
* Fixed error in filenames for downloads.

My website

GitHub

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Awesome. Just awesome. It seems that marxian entered some stage of pure awesomeness, lately. I see your code suggestions/tips/programs almost everywhere, and they're always a spot-on. Thank you!

Re UI discussion - I agree microB UI is, overall, performing great. There are two things, that can make person mad, though:

1. Backspace deleting text when inside text field (as it should) but acting as "previous page" if you hit shift + backspace inside same text field God, how many times I have written something with shift, then wanted to correct it with backspace, and keyboard detected it as "shift + backspace". Side effect - most of the times, you just lost everything you have written. Sometimes, scrolling forward from history allows you to recover your text. Sometimes, it doesn't.

I don't know who thought that this shortcut is a good idea, but I think he should be doomed to re-write all phone books, all by hand, at least 100 times.

Edit: Fixed shift+left arrow for shift+backspace, as it should have been.

2. The lack of "forward" button. It's just nonsense, that we have "back" button, but not forward one.

Just a thing for consideration,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-08-04 at 00:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@Estel
As much as I agree to you on your POV about marxian
I do not get what you are talking about the shift-left button.
We do use the same version of (stock Maemo) MicroB?
shift-left: in a text field it selects, but outside it does nothing.
Do you meant: backspace (delete backwards button? This one is error prone as it deletes backwards in a text field, but if you loose focus (by accidentally clicking outside on any page area or on purpose scrolling page) it will bring you back to last visited page.
But: this hit me a lot of times in early times, but nowadays not anymore.

And about forward button: yes, maybe. But you may use long-press of back-button and then select the page you want to see (back or forth).
Oh and one more: who needs a button on UI for that when you have a keyboard (with a shortcut) for that: SHIFT-backspace brings you forward as backspace backwards.

--
just a clarification post
I will accept whatever marxian decides to build.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-08-03 at 07:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Well, you say you agree on adhering to the UI standards, then go on to make a number of suggestions (like altering textfield and toolbar sizes) that deviate from those standards. The components were written for the sole purpose of creating user interfaces that adhere to the Hildon UI standards using QML code.

Besides, I like the MicroB UI. That's why I copied it.
When i said i agree to standard i meant that, but some things i think would be better not be reimplemented, the toolbar and the enter address field wasting space they shouldnt are a nice example of it, but if you feel thats not right its fine. But my other suggestion dont need altering hildon ui standard right what about them?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
And about forward button: yes, maybe. But you may use long-press of back-button and then select the page you want to see (back or forth).
Oh and one more: who needs a button on UI for that when you have a keyboard (with a shortcut) for that: SHIFT-backspace brings you forward as backspace backwards.

--
just a clarification post
I will accept whatever marxian decides to build.
I need it cause my hardware kb is slightly broken and i use vkb mostly besides why would you want to go through so much just to get a forward page? Imho a forward page should be implemented it will be of great use and maybe it can take place of add bookmark on toolbar if marxian agrees.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2014-08-03 at 10:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Update.

qml-browser (0.5.1)

* Added support for command line arguments (supported arguments are --url=$URL and --full_screen to force fullscreen).
* Fixed error in filenames for downloads.
That was fast, i found another bug in download manager when yu delete a download from list it shows in confirmation box "Delete (downloadsize)?" which should be "Delete (filename)?" See attached screenshot.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Re UI discussion - I agree microB UI is, overall, performing great. There are two things, that can make person mad, though:

1. Shift+left arrow acting as shortcut for back. God, how many times I have written something with shift, then wanted to move my cursor back, and keyboard detected it as shift+back. Side effect - most of the times, you just lost everything you have written. Sometimes, scrolling forward from history allows you to recover your text. Sometimes, it doesn't.
Shift+Left doesn't seem to perform any action in the browser for me, neither in MicroB nor QML Browser. Backspace goes back in both applications. Handling of the backspace key is implemented in QWebView. I could override this, but doing that might have unwanted side effects. It would also mean that other application developers using the components would be stuck with my choices, as it is not possible to override existing key event handling in QML (you can only augment it).

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
2. The lack of "forward" button. It's just nonsense, that we have "back" button, but not forward one.
I can add a 'forward' button to the toolbar (next to the 'back' button). I think the textfield width would still be acceptable, at least once loading has finished and the 'stop' button is hidden.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@Oh and one more: who needs a button on UI for that when you have a keyboard (with a shortcut) for that: SHIFT-backspace brings you forward as backspace backwards.
Shift+Backspace doesn't seem to do anything for me in MicroB (nor in QML Browser). I'm happy to use that shortcut for the 'forward' button, so long as noone objects.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2014-08-03 at 14:17. Reason: Merge posts

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
That was fast, i found another bug in download manager when yu delete a download from list it shows in confirmation box "Delete (downloadsize)?" which should be "Delete (filename)?" See attached screenshot.
I forgot to add the Q_ENUMS macro to the download model, so the Roles enum is not working in QML. It always passes 0 (which happens to be Qt :: DisplayRole) instead of the correct enum value. This means the value returned will depend on which column you tap in. If you tap in the first column, you get the filename, second is the size, third is the bytes received.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
While following the stock browser UI (that i like but i think it could be better), i hope there will be a place to customize things that should follow the users preferences like is possible in most of the existing browsers: a toolbar with customizable buttons and submenu to aggregate functions to free some space.on the screen.
Then, while in full screen mode, the back button could have the same behavior of the full screen trasparent switch.

Some problem:
Now the "add bookmark" button is lost and in portrait mode the toolbar is useless.
I have a strange issue that happens sometimes when a page tries to open a link into a new page: the page remains empty and the status seems to have already completed the page load.
Double click to zoom looses the position inside the page.
Switching tasks, the qml-browser has no preview, just a trasparent window.

Last edited by xes; 2014-08-03 at 23:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
While following the stock browser UI (that i like but i think it could be better), i hope there will be a place to customize things that should follow the users preferences like is possible in most of the existing browsers: a toolbar with customizable buttons and submenu to aggregate functions to free some space.on the screen.
Then, while in full screen mode, the back button could have the same behavior of the full screen trasparent switch.

Some problem:
Now the "add bookmark" button is lost and in portrait mode the toolbar is useless.
I have a strange issue that happens sometimes when a page tries to open a link into a new page: the page remains empty and the status seems to have already completed the page load.
Double click to zoom looses the position inside the page.
Switching tasks, the qml-browser has no preview, just a trasparent window.
Add bookmark is there in the context menu on toolbar its not (i dont think people use it so much so it should be on toolbar anyway) but add bookmark for some reason not working correctly in portrait mode, shows no fields just a blank greyed out area.

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser