Active Topics

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Thanks Nieldk! I will try it.
But I have a few questions:
1. Release: 1%{?dist}
What this 1%{?dist} ? It mean the spec file will read this number from source package ? Or I can just write the release number that I want ?

2. Source0: http://www.sample.org/samle/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
If I already have tar.gz file, can I just put it to /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES folder and write it as is, for example:
Code:
Source0: /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/purple-facebook-3d30d24fdbef.tar.gz
3. BuildRequires: somelibrariesthat are needed
How I check what libraries my package need ?

4. Requires: somerequireddependenciesforapplication
How I check what requires my package need ?

5. make %{?_smp_mflags}
What it mean ? I need leave it as you wrote ? or I need change it {?_smp_mflags} to something ?

Thanks
1 1%{?dist} is to distinct disyributions. You can put an increasing number instead to describe release versions.

2 you can just write the name of your source file. Using these tags are not required , but does make it easier when building new releases, as it automatic adds the version numbers in the filename.

3 well, for example, nmap would need openssl-devel. You need to read what your program depends on.

4 like 3) your program might need for example openssl. This line will let rpm know to ask for this addotional package to be installed.
My tor-switch as example, would need tor.

5 you can just - in most cases - just write 'make'. But, some sources needs additional compiler flags set to build.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Thank you!
About number #3 and #4...
Requires - If I build my package from zero, I know what I need put here, but if I just downloaded tar.gz file of someone. Can I check it somehow from the tar.gz file itself ?
Same about BuildRequires... You say "You need to read what your program depends on", but where to read it ? Some readme file from tar.gz file ?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Thank you!
About number #3 and #4...
Requires - If I build my package from zero, I know what I need put here, but if I just downloaded tar.gz file of someone. Can I check it somehow from the tar.gz file itself ?
Same about BuildRequires... You say "You need to read what your program depends on", but where to read it ? Some readme file from tar.gz file ?
Thanks
There is no definate andwer.
Usually, developers website will let you know.
Other times, you need to figure it out yourself, by observing for example, errors during buildtime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

The Following User Says Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post: