Active Topics

Just bought an N900,and I'm super excited for it. I got it second hand on Gumtree.

I was really keen when it arrived, but sadly I can't get it to turn on.Ive plugged it into my computer using the cable I was given, and sadly I get nothing from it - no power light or anything, no response from the computer (as far as it's concerned there's nothing plugged in) The only indication that any power is moving anywhere is that it makes a faint repeated noise (I can't explain it well, but it's like a hum or a hiss and then nothing, then sound, and nothing etc...) I've tried leaving it to charge and I still can't get the bugger to work.

I've looking into trying to flash it, but sadly it seems the site where you download the files from is dead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toggle2 For This Useful Post:
guessing the battery is flat?

try hooking it up to a wall charger ( the original if possible ), there should be an orange light come on in the bottom left corner, leave it to charge for a while

the n900 from memory supports an older "dumb charger" standard so you may need to try a few different ones if you do not have the original charger

steady orange - recovery charging, the battery is to flat to "boot into normal charging mode"
blinking orange - normal charging
steady green - charged

The Following User Says Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Have you tried the repos on the wiki ?

Last edited by saponga; 2016-05-07 at 10:40. Reason: wrong information

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
I had one similar to this, I guess it had been sat around for while, bought a new battery and she was up and running again!

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
My spare n900 after almost 2 years in the box behaved in similar way. When connected to original Nokia charger (that was in the same box as the device), even the orange light did not blink. I leaved it connected for some time and after few hours (!!!) - maybe 2, maybe 3 - it started charging.... No problems since then. So, as suggested earlier, maybe try connecting it to the charger and leave it like that for few hours...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Update: I've left it charging in the wall for a while and so on and noticed that it displays a solid green light (Yay! It's charged, right?) but oddly it's only on when I touch the edges of the phone. I'm guessing this means that the charging port has a dodgy connection and it touching the exterior/not touching the internal circuits, which would suck. I've left it on charge overnight to see if it improves.

If the phone is unresponsive even though the battery should be charged, take out the battery, hold down the power button for a few seconds and replace the battery.

You should find pretty easily posts about the N900 & broken micro-USB ports and possible fixes. What I've come to learn is that it never hurts to file down the little metal hooks on the cable as a precaution.

Last edited by tmi; 2016-05-08 at 08:09. Reason: better wording

Originally Posted by tmi View Post
What I've come to learn is that it never hurts to file down the little metal hooks in the cable connector as a precaution.
Is this the tabs on the cable? (as seen in this picture:

or on the phone, in the usb port?

The Following User Says Thank You to Toggle2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Toggle2 View Post
Is this the tabs on the cable? (as seen in this picture: http://i1.wp.com/www.aramblinggeek.c..._USB_Cable.jpg

or on the phone, in the usb port?
Exactly those, on the cable.

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post: