Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
at first i have to agree to kazuki the n900 mameo 5 just have a lack of update iam sure the community devs have tons of new stuff and would be able to fix most of the bugs by the time but nokia dont give the PR free.

To compare maemo5 vs android i would say its isnt to compare. Its like i would compare windows 7 with xp. Both are windows but thats it. I only hope that we really see one day Meego for the N900.

The other side if i see that LG stops there Meego Handy Project (Ally) and uses Android instead i fear Meego with take minimal a Year before we see it at some mobile phone devices.

I hope if Nokia decides that Meego isnt offical for the N900 that they give all Maemo Sources free so the community can develop something better from it.

This sounds a little sad and i would love to have bought a great Device with a full opensource System and many "linux like" updates (repositorys full of nightly builds all that good stuff) but i guess i dont..

Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
Well Reading through The Thread..
I agree with the hardware Spec....Its Got everything and works great!...exept for a good battery and Softwares that drain the battery!
But in really tech talk....Is N900 a Developers tool Box for creating , hacking and making softwares to fancy the Hardware potential of the Gadget??? or For a Normal being(not a software or OS geek) to use it as a latest Tech gadget boosting about its potential of what it can do than other Phones cannot do???!!!

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
Your right, its not exactly java. But from what I understand it is a simple conversion.

EDIT: hmm.... if it is a simple conversion one way, wouldn't it be a simple conversion the other way? convert to java to run on java-enabled handsets?
Okay to the conversion question the simple answer to convert Android apps to Java is no... Look at it like this, you have a glass of water and would like to convert the water to juice, thats simple right, add the ingredients! Now how do you convert it back to water if you would like that? Virtually impossible, especially if you already cooked the juice.

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
To compare maemo5 vs android i would say its isnt to compare. Its like i would compare windows 7 with xp. Both are windows but thats it. I only hope that we really see one day Meego for the N900.
Dont go and compare Maemo 5 and Android to Win 7 and XP, you could rather compare Maemo 5 and Maemo 4 with Win7 and XP.

Different Linux distors are not canonical versions of each other.

For java we have the Microemulator. For me it works fine

If you were in the market for a generic smartphone, android is and probably always has been superior to maemo.

If you're in the market for a handheld unix computer with a GSM radio, the comparison is silly.

It sucks to see such tremendous potential slowly waste away, and I hope Nokia hasn't abandoned this path for highend smartphones. But in my particular case, the n900 is still the best technology thing I have ever owned. For me, comparing it to an android phone is kinda silly.

you know the funny thing is that no one on this forum knows what Nokia's vision is about maemo.
Accept it or no majority of the users on this forum are ppl who are disappointed buyers, then there are mixed ppl who are waiting for the update and still have some faith in Nokia. LOL! and then there are Nokia fan boys who have shares at Nokia in Finland so they have their heads digged in the sand and its a sunny shiny day for them, so no need to consider them cus they are of no help and they are just too happy with the remote control so they can turn on/off their tv, & yeah if you really push their buttons they'll tell you to buy another device.
So no one knows what the company is planning to Maemo & the picture is completely blurry after they pulled Meego outta the hat.
So Yes just like you all im also a disappointed user and still have some faith in Nokia. Cus there use to be a time when Nokia was on top of things but I think that they have the old school mentality which definately isnt good enough to compete with the competetors.
Ive seen ppl talking againt any other device specially iphone & android but funny thing is that both of them are getting updates in the near future with confirmed dates & their users are very well aware of what's coming up for their devices.
So i think instead of comparing the devices and specs Nokia should really comapre its cliaentale to their competetors and see what is that much more that they are offering.

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
Accept it or no majority of the users on this forum are ppl who are disappointed buyers
You do realize that you have no proof whatsoever to back up this statement.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
did anyone doubt that android was ahead or will go ahead of maemo?

i think the actual reason why 1.2 is taking so long is because nokia wants to finish maemo once and forever. they know meego is there, but they love us so much they want to do a good job on 1.2.

If Nokia releases a half-baked update, then the masses will scream bloody murder for releasing it too soon. If Nokia takes too long to release a stable update, then the masses will scream bloody murder for taking too long to release it.

Personally, I'd rather be in the latter category; judging by the update leak, we know it's coming and I'd rather have it released when it's ready and stable.

If you fall into BOTH categories described above, then there is nothing Nokia can do to appease you because you will find anything to complain about. It may be a good time to cut your losses and move on to "greener pastures." Just be aware that the grass ain't necessarily green on the other side of the fence.

- mp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empower996 For This Useful Post:
I gotta say i'm not a 'disappointed buyer' , but i am a disappointed user mainly due to this whole PR1.2 fiasco. There should be a "maemo time" wiki page just like there is a "valve time".

Agreed 100% that the update needs to be stable. But if it takes so long to stabilize an update, aren't the stability of the core platform and maintenance strategy to be questionned ? Maybe PR1.2 just contained too much and should have been broken down..

What's worrying for me is that if meego is to be the evolution of the maemo platform, will it inherit this nasty development / maintenance cycle ?

Anyways, to get back on android 2.2, i have to say bravo to Google to announcing availability in the "coming weeks" and actually releasing an OTA update only a few days later. Surprises like that always please tech peeps like us.

The Following User Says Thank You to patate For This Useful Post: