I'm currently working on a theme for the n9 and will do more themes as I go along. Although there is currently a theme changer app it is fairly limited.

Essentially the app I need is to copy files/folders from one directory to another, then set a gconf value dependant on user input (dropdown list)

Essentially the reason for this is the following. My theme needs to change .desktop files (since some .desktop files point to a certain icon directory instead of the current theme icon directory). The theme changer app only changes the Gconf value, which means icons outside of the theme folder are left unchanged (angry birds, AP news, tnpui etc.).

So my thinking is to have my themes in the /usr/share/themes folder but then have .desktop files in /home/user/.simpleThemer folder, which can be copied over to the applications directory to point to the correct icon file (will need different .desktop for each theme).

While I could write it in a shell script I was thinking it would be nicer if it was a GUI . I could even write the shell and if someone could do a Qt front end that calls it with QProcess that would work.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
I not would not be too hard for me go write the UI or even the app. The problem is, the app needs root rights for this, and I do not know how to do it. It might work with the right Aegis credentials, but I would have to see first.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

well I may be wrong, but I think that if there are shell scripts which do the copying and setting of the gconf value, then you just add in "/usr/bin/aegis-exec -s -u user" when you call them from the application.

Or if you use the app to copy, in the aegis manifest you would set similar credentials.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
I am currently working on other applications.
How ever if you show me clearly what has to be done, I can write you a simple GUI in QML and Python.
If you provide the icon, splashscreens and texts it would save me a lot of time.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
I'll get working on those. When I have everything ready I'll put it up here.

Thank you

EDIT: been playing around some more. unfortunately I can't do what i wanted with the shell scripts at a user level (ie. can't write to the applications folder). So unless there's a way to do that from an application level then I'm out of ideas (i could just have people running the shell script as devel-su, but I would have liked a non-dev mode application). aegis-exec doesn't seem to give high enough privileges.

SO unless anybody has any ideas.... because icons like angry birds free is not writeable for a normal user, I was hoping to do it though .desktop files (and that would leave the original icon intact, then just replace the original .desktop file.) because icons seem to be all over the place, modifying .desktops seemed to be easiest.

Last edited by randomdood; 2012-03-06 at 14:17.