Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
I've generaly really like my Jolla phone. I still use it like as my only phone. But I don't really see much future for Jolla. The biggest problem is that it is just too late. Too, too, too and the some too late. The whole smartphone market has allready been 'solved'. Few years ago in fact.

Jolla has just about as much hope as anyone trying to break into into the car market as a new mainstream car brand. Its no going to happen. Its Android for most of the people, Apple for the rest. Thats it. Maybe few years ago it would have been possible. People just don't find phones exiting enough anymore to try anything new. The whole thing is settled by now.

I guess maemonians might object with whatever open source/free software/whatever idealism, but that won't work either. Just look the last 20+ years of Linux trying to be something at the consumer market with nothing to show for it (and no, Android doesn't count as Linux).

Again, Im still happy with my phone. Overly optimisticly hoping that there would be a follow up, but I don't see one coming. At best, there might be something coming from Jolla's immoral partnership with the russian goverment, but I don't see that going anywhere either. And even if it sold few copies in russia, it would still crash once the russian peasants finally get sick enough with all the looting of national wealth, corruption, lies, propaganda and wars that come with Putin's rule and all western busineses (like Jolla) that made deals with the blood thristy bastard.

Homogenization opens up chances for differentiation, tho.
Of course, we have seen this already with Symbian; but the nature of the problem was different (hardware AND software wise, at a technical level), which accounted for a fast and global rise of competitors (iphone, and then android).
But still , there are ways in which the Jolla phone *is* actually differentiating from the rest; the problem for Jolla to solve, IMO, is to find a way to make money out of it The Intex Partnership is one example of this. If Jolla plays their cards well, they might have a chance. The problem tho, is that there are quite alot of if's in here...

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
It's easy for us armchair CEOs to state what Jolla or other companies need to do. Behind the scenes I'm sure it's way more complicated than the seemingly simple requests of a new phone model or ports to other hardware or opening up more api.

It seems to me that one small company isn't going to disrupt the status quo without massive developer community engagement and Jolla haven't been that great at that despite the marketing.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
if i still use sailfish and not ios or android it means that i find in it something that others dont give me..i know sfos has some missing features,some of them very simple but important. but,apart for acute critics that are driven by emotions,i understand they are small, and without money,and that they are doing as well as they can. i dislike this pessimism and this lacking of empathy in this difficult journey...sure we are fan not groupie,so critics are useful and welcomed, but have to being made in a really positive way

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
e.g opensourcing request..i know it wou'd bw great for us, but let's look form another pov. they have to protect their efforts in some way, almost until they will be happy with a stable monetizing strategy..if google had created android before google services, i guess it would be not so easy to earn money from it...since others like cyanogen could have set domination on android itself

an appropriate critic could be for battery unavailability, since it is a matter of respect for buyers..they could have produced some batch with crowdfounding ..or just suggest some compatible ones, assuming responsability..and they srsly have to improve communication avoiding abusing of word soon, but thats another story

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-10-15 at 10:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
if i still use sailfish and not ios or android it means that i find in it something that others dont give me.
Perhaps we need a new thread on the topic: "What makes Sailfish attractive for you?" Though perhaps better not here but over at TJC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
i dont like tjc,since they listen only what they want to listen. in addiction, site's design is confusional and not as simple as this one

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i dont like tjc,since they listen only what they want to listen. in addiction, site's design is confusional and not as simple as this one
The only pros at TJC is occationally some Jolla staff might appear and give some useful info.

Other than that it's like another iFans site which provides limited real information rather than unrealistic zealousness.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
The whole smartphone market has allready been 'solved'. Few years ago in fact 5 years ago.
Correct, thats why Jolla does not focus on consumers direktly but tries to license to 3rd parties with special interest.

Just look the last 20+ years of Linux trying to be something at the consumer market with nothing to show for it (and no, Android doesn't count as Linux).
also correct, only the past Linux projects lacked a proper ui as biggest "selling point" to casual users.
History shows that attractive UIs can not be born by FOSS projects (too many cooks pradigm), so my hope is still on Jolla to glance in that special field on a "possibly" long run.

Overly optimisticly hoping that there would be a follow up,...
As we all where. I for my part realized that my hopes where based on false assumptions and "Dunning Kruger Effect". Sure it all looks like an easy task for us Armchair CEOs. Until you try to do business yourselfe...

At best, there might be something coming from Jolla's immoral partnership with the russian goverment
Maan, you lost me here. Please do not spread a onesided view.
As this is the case with most political views, please just leave them out of technical discussions completely.

If you base your business on licensing your os worldwide, minus usa, there are not many attractive markets left but china, russia and the african and south american continent. As you said. the smartphonemarket is already settled, and this much more in the us and europe than in other parts of the world. Maybe those that are "some years behind" in developement by "western" standards yield many more chances for business than the ones we are familiar with?

Last edited by mosen; 2015-10-15 at 12:46.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
agree with u mosen. and let me say that, even if it is clear that russia is not a model of democracy ( political oppositor, dishuman treatment vs gay people, etc)..unfortunately for usa is the same, but in more hidden way..let's think about nsa, the torture imposed to assange and fund blocking for donation to wikileaks by mastercard and visa ( bank America ), paypal...and sure political pressure. i think the only little light of democracy is represented by European countries...(not UE burocrazy, i remark this)...sorry for OT

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
So will we ever see a Jolla phone successor? Even if they announced one before the end of the year, it'd probably take 18 months before we get a hands on. And by then the specs would be 2 years out of date.

The Following User Says Thank You to vinca For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone