Active Topics

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I last posted here. Mainly because I'm not using Maemo on a phone, which seems to be what most discussions are about. But...

I am trying to get something working with Hildon on an old BenQ S6, and thought that I might find some help here.

I've been able to install all sorts of applications on the device, since it runs an old version of sorts of Fedora Core. But the desktop is Hildon. I've had no trouble getting icons on the desktop in their respective tabs, and can launch them easily from the desktop. My problem comes when I then launch another app, purposefully not closing out the first app. with the built-in apps, I can task switch back and forth between them, but the apps I've added don't show up in the active running programs list (it has its own tab), even though they are still running. I just can't get them back in the foreground.

I am thinking it has something to do with the way I have my applications' hildon.desktop file set up.

So, for example, I have the following defined for Textmaker:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Textmaker
Exec=/home/root/bin/textmakerfree
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/tml_48.png
Terminal=false
X-Window-Icon=textmaker
X-Window-Icon-Dimmed=textmaker
X-Icon-path=/usr/share/pixmaps
X-Window-Icon=tn-bookmarks-link
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Service=textmakerfree
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable

Am I missing anything? Or is this even the right place I should be looking?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Instead of
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/tml_48.png
You should be using
Icon=tml_48

Not sure about X* properties.

The file is /usr/share/applications/hildon/textmaker.desktop, right?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_file_format

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=Wikiwide;1455107]Quick reply...

Instead of
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/tml
http://_48.png<br /> You should be ...op_file_format

Yes, that's where it's defined. The more I think about it the more I think I'm looking in the wrong place. The application works fine, just when I switch to another program, I can't switch back.

There must be some other place that defines how task switching works.

R.

The Following User Says Thank You to rickh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

First, can you compare desktop file of a built-in app against desktop file of textmaker, just in case?

Second, you can look up files of hildon-desktop. Such as, /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini

Also, it might help to take a look at /etc/xdg/menus/hildon.menu

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
just when I switch to another program, I can't switch back.
I would try to add to the desktop file:

StartupWMClass=textmakerfree

Or it has maybe somthing todo with the run-standalone.sh on N900 can't remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Thanks Wikiwide and Halftux. You've pointed me in the right direction, I think. I still have to go through a bunch of other Hildon directories, but there's lots to investigate.

This device seems to be set up a bit differently. Most of the hildon files are under /usr/share/applications/switcher-menu.desktophildon* or hsapps*. There are about 6 different directories to check out.

As far as the application definition files go *the .desktop files), they function fine - anything I've added, I've modeled off from existing, preinstalled apps. Starting the apps isn't a problem, just switching betweeen them. I found a directory called hildon-navigator that has some definitions in them, so I'll start there.

One good side-benefit from this is there's also a directory called hildon-status-bar. There's a screenshot app I'd love to have on the status bar so maybe I can figure out how to do that there.

Again, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to rickh For This Useful Post: