Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
I loved my N900, and i thought the N9 was a mistake. Five years on, all I want is a phone to live up to the promise and vision proposed by the N9. Today I saw leaked photos of the next sony flagship, and for the first time in a very, very, long time, I'm excited.

http://m.gsmarena.com/exclusive_sony...news-19465.php

It reminds me of the original lg chocolate running Symbian. Similar profile to N9, with no buttons and a very good chance of being waterproof. Unfortunately it has close to no chance of having an OLED screen, but I'm holding hope for a comfortable phone that won't shatter. Obviously Nokia branded phones will be returning to the market, do you hold out any hope or not?

Are there any other phones you could recommend to me to give me what the N9 did?
(For obvious reasons, i will never buy a Microsoft device, and the only reason i gave up on my N9 was its inability to handle emoji. What a ridiculous, and surprisingly difficult bug)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gsmarena
The design is a much bigger change, however.
The same boring rectangular slab with a glass front as everything else. Their definition of "much bigger change" must be very different from mine. (Or they are comparing it to something other than every other phone currently out there.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The same boring rectangular slab with a glass front as everything else. Their definition of "much bigger change" must be very different from mine. (Or they are comparing it to something other than every other phone currently out there.)
"much bigger change" than what happened during the Sony Z series and when they introduced the X series just recently to a resounding "meh". Sony has kept to their "omni-balance" design for the best part of 5 years I think and were getting criticism for it stagnating.

This seems to be an aluminium oblong "tube" extrusion with end caps and a screen with curved edges. It's being compared to the N9 and Lumia design on the Sony blogs and there's certainly a touch of that. I do wish they'd reduce the top and bottom bezels a bit though.

It's a candidate for my next phone certainly as I like my Sony phones (since the UIQ days even) although I'll hang out for a compact version. Currently I've got a perfectly functional Z1 compact and I was pondering a Z5 compact instead of the newer X series until this came along.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
(For obvious reasons, i will never buy a Microsoft device, and the only reason i gave up on my N9 was its inability to handle emoji. What a ridiculous, and surprisingly difficult bug)
If this is your only reason then you will stay with your N9 (or one of those 'new').
As there is a fix for that which works nice and flawlessly (also for N900). Did you not know about this?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
No, I did not know about that patch!

I'll start looking for a new one soon..

But that Sony, disappointing oled is still so uncommon, and they cheaped out on waterproofing, but I think they've done a great job with that design.

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
No, I did not know about that patch!

I'll start looking for a new one soon..

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/son...x-compact2.jpg

But that Sony, disappointing oled is still so uncommon, and they cheaped out on waterproofing, but I think they've done a great job with that design.
No surprise really Sony are a part of JDI that make LCD panels. JDI are apart of JOLED though which was created a year or 2 ago, but they said their aim wasn't for mobile screens but tablets and laptops.

They didn't cheap out on water proofing, it's IP68 certified.

But the phone is violently expensive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Thread necromancy just to say I called this news,

"Jolla on Sony devices"

Feelsgood.jpg

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post: