Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Islamabad, Pakistan
Hello!
I am in kind of a ditch and hoped you guys might be able to help.
I was changing my theme when n900 shutdown due to low battery (it didnt gave any indication or anything and just went blank).

Now when i restart my device it shows my desktop wallpaper and then powersoff without showing any thing else.

Help needed!!!

P.S. the usb port is broken so i cant connect it to a computer to flash it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ New Zealand
Do you have u-boot installed by any chance? I think that should probably be a priority for people with broken USB ports.

Originally Posted by Maxdamantus View Post
Do you have u-boot installed by any chance? I think that should probably be a priority for people with broken USB ports.
Sorry i dont have it. What should i do?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zimad View Post
Sorry i dont have it. What should i do?
1) Does it connect to the WLAN before powering off?
2) If yes, did you enable SSH?

If yes, you might be able to quickly login and enable R&D mode before it reboots.
But first respond to (1) and (2).

Maybe easier:
(3) do you have backupmenu?
(4) do you have recovery shell?

If (3) or (4) it's also easy to fix. So I assume you don't have those.

Meaning:
If your USB is broken (no flashing) and U-boot is not installed (no booting from SD card) and you cannot interrupt the booting (backupmenu or recovery shell) and R&D is disabled (because you say it reboots) then your only option is to somehow prevent the watchdog from rebooting. The easiest way is by enabling R&D mode (or creating an empty file "/etc/no_lg_reboots").

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Quoting myself "If your USB is broken (no flashing) and U-boot is not installed (no booting from SD card) and you cannot interrupt the booting (backupmenu or recovery shell) and R&D is disabled (because you say it reboots) then your only option is to somehow prevent the watchdog from rebooting. The easiest way is by enabling R&D mode (or creating an empty file "/etc/no_lg_reboots")."

I use this opportunity to AGAIN recommend everyone to install U-boot and/or at the very least backupmenu or recovery shell AND (preferably) enable R&D mode. This is of critical importance if your USB port is busted.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
the OP should also just get the USB port fixed. not too difficult if he consults someone with the right tools and know-how.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Quoting myself "If your USB is broken (no flashing) and U-boot is not installed (no booting from SD card) and you cannot interrupt the booting (backupmenu or recovery shell) and R&D is disabled (because you say it reboots) then your only option is to somehow prevent the watchdog from rebooting. The easiest way is by enabling R&D mode (or creating an empty file "/etc/no_lg_reboots")."

I use this opportunity to AGAIN recommend everyone to install U-boot and/or at the very least backupmenu or recovery shell AND (preferably) enable R&D mode. This is of critical importance if your USB port is busted.
Thankyou very much but how can i enable R&D is the phone powersoff just after loading the main menu?

I am new at this but please can u guide me thrrough the r&d enabling?

Last edited by zimad; 2015-01-27 at 17:41.

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
the OP should also just get the USB port fixed. not too difficult if he consults someone with the right tools and know-how.
I tried but only the charging can be fixed not the usb I/o signals

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
People have managed to create another usb connection using the testpads under the battery. See:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71414

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimad View Post
Thankyou very much but how can i enable R&D is the phone powersoff just after loading the main menu?

I am new at this but please can u guide me thrrough the r&d enabling?
Your only chance is if you managed to login via SSH before it reboots. I think the automatic wifi connection is normally started once the desktop is up and running, so the time window may be very small (or even negative, meaning no chance).

When does it exactly reboot? do you get to see the desktop? does it connect? are you able to start a program (click an icon) before it reboots?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: