Notices

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Hamster Filer 0.6 has arrived. It's not as fast as a hamster spinning on a wheel, but there are some speed-ups and a few features too.
  • Added a configurable limiter for the number of active operations.
  • Added a confirmation when deleting files through the clipboard window.
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for confirmation dialogs.
  • Added an option to sort files in a few different ways.
  • Added new file details to select from: nothing, permissions.
  • Directory listing happens in a separate thread, so GUI is more responsive.
  • Improved startup time.
  • Invoking file menu selects the current item, so it is easier to use with multi-select.
  • Disabled selection for ".." items.
  • Changed icons for clipboard and multi-select.
  • Fixed the failure to start as root with no arguments.
  • Fixed the crash caused by double-clicking a bookmark.

File details will be messed up after updating, so visit the settings window and readjust them to your needs.

Originally Posted by tiempjuuh View Post
http://xkcd.com/927/
I was considering to work on FileBox, but ultimately decided that it will be easier to start from scratch. That also gives me a chance to have a fresh (perhaps better) look at things and provides more freedom to implement various ideas, without worrying that people can accuse me of destroying their favorite file manager with too much innovation.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Couldn't you have announced Hamster Filer somewhat earlier, then I wouldn't have spend time on the FileBox fixes...

I think this will replace FileBox for a lot of people, even if it is just the second release.

Just 2 remarks (not really bugs):
- It is a little inconsistent that the file date (dayname/monthname) is localized, while the rest of the application is in English. Not very bothering though.
- When choosing "open with" for a file, you will get in the applications menu. It is exact the same menu as when you choose applications from the status menu. The only difference is that in the first case, you will not get the option to add or clear an applications (although the statusbar suggests you can).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Absolutely great software. I have one small issue, dont know if it a bug or a feature, but after the latest upgrade the Hamsterfiles show my rootfolder as empty. I cant say if this problem was present for me before, because I hadn't the time to test the software more thoroughly. I encountered the problem when I was navigating my way to remote_filesystems, but didnt get there because I couldnt find anything on the root folder. Anyone else having this issue?
I tried the gridview and he list, but they had no effect. I also tried changing from the settings that hamster filer does not run as root, and I think that the contents of the root folder flashed in the screen, but the flash was too fast to be sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
Absolutely great software. I have one small issue, dont know if it a bug or a feature, but after the latest upgrade the Hamsterfiles show my rootfolder as empty. I cant say if this problem was present for me before, because I hadn't the time to test the software more thoroughly. I encountered the problem when I was navigating my way to remote_filesystems, but didnt get there because I couldnt find anything on the root folder. Anyone else having this issue?
I tried the gridview and he list, but they had no effect. I also tried changing from the settings that hamster filer does not run as root, and I think that the contents of the root folder flashed in the screen, but the flash was too fast to be sure.
May be, because there are no files in /root for root user?
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# ls
Nokia-N900:~# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root         1120 Oct  6 01:28 .
drwxr-xr-x   26 root     root         1768 May 18  2011 ..
-rw-------    1 root     root          464 Oct  7 00:32 .ash_history
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          412 Feb 19  2010 .bashrc
drwx------    3 root     root          224 Oct  5 23:23 .config
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          520 Oct  8 10:40 .fapman
drwx------    2 root     root          160 Sep 29 07:25 .gnome2
drwx------    2 root     root          448 Oct  4 20:08 .gnupg
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          240 Oct  6 00:09 .gstreamer-0.10
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          274 May  5  2010 .gtkrc-2.0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          264 Oct  5 10:15 .gtkrc-2.0.cache
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          202 Feb 19  2010 .profile
drwx------    2 root     root          264 Oct  7 00:19 .pulse
-rw-------    1 root     root          256 Sep 29 06:03 .pulse-cookie
drwx------    2 root     root          232 Oct  4 19:53 .ssh
drwxr-x---    5 root     root          352 Oct  6 01:28 .thumbnails
There are only hidden files and folders.

By the way: Great application, thanks a lot!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Big thanks:
my favorite on this new update:

* Added an option to sort files in a few different ways.

Though it's still not easy to "open with ..." a file with a given applications.
It'd be nice to get the list of the installed app where we can choose the desired app just like in the stock file manager. (hmmm an option to "always open that type of file with this app" could be better )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helloct For This Useful Post:
I have just stumbled upon an annoying bug in file operations, so there it is, another update. Hamster Filer 0.6.1 has the following changes:
  • Fixed false overwrite warnings and some other problems when handling multiple directory trees.
  • Fixed multi-select button sometimes not being in the proper state after changing location.

Originally Posted by ade View Post
Couldn't you have announced Hamster Filer somewhat earlier, then I wouldn't have spend time on the FileBox fixes...
I started this project quite spontaneously some time after my bugfix for FileBox and it reached a good shape and a release so fast that I didn't have much time to announce it earlier.

Originally Posted by helloct View Post
It'd be nice to get the list of the installed app where we can choose the desired app just like in the stock file manager.
Whoa, I wasn't aware that the stock file manager can do that (and I couldn't find that option after a quick look).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Dont know what I did, but after a nights rest, Hamster Filer now shows me the contents of the root folder regardless of being root or no, viewing hidden files or not or using the gridview or listview, so I cant anymore replicate my bug with version 0.6. Problem solved.

Edit: I meant the folder "/" (I thought this was called the root, my mistake, I'm linux newbie), not /root. I also replicated the bug in the newest version and found out when I can see the contents and when not. If I am ofline, the folder shows empty, but if I am connected to internet via WLAN I can see the contents. If I'm ofline and go in Hamster Filer to / and then connect, the contents show up after my Skype icon goes green and show I'm online. And yes, I know this sounds like me or my N900 are on some heavy medication, but this is what is happening!

I also found out about new feature, that might have some effect on users. When you visit a folder and come back from it and delete it, it stay still in the "navigation bar" as a box you can choose (if you use that type of bar). If you click on it (I did, accidentally), the software goes black for a while as it loads something, and is momentarily unusable. After that you can resume using the software as you want. I also tried this with your latest version you released six hours ago.

I also have a feature request. When you navigate folders in Filebox and come back from a folderback to its root, in Filebox you come back to the point in list where the folder is located, where you came from, but Hamster Filer puts you back in the start of the list. This behavior is also same, when you delete a folder, you get thrown in the start of the list. If it is possible, the software should maintain the location in the list. (I used Hamster Filer for cleaning my folders, so I repeatedly went through folders in N900 and if they had nothing important in them, I came back and deleted them, so I was going back and forth a lot in the folders, it would have been great if the software maintained the position). And ofcourse, thanks for the great software.

Last edited by Kossuth; 2012-10-09 at 05:40.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I'm sure you're busy chasing issues with the original design targets now, but later if you're thinking about additional features: it would be really nice to have a file manager through with permissions for files could be set.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Cant the permissions be edited if you pick from the filemenu "Details" (by pressing the file for a while, where you can pick also Clip, Open with, delete...), and modify the tickboxes of "rwx" from there and click save? Or do you mean something other than that? This at least worked for some of my files. I myself can edit the permission in for example /user folder, but cant do that in /user/MyDocs, maybe because of different filesystems or something?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
hamster filer, nokia n900