Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
mikecomputing's Avatar
Posts: 3,400 | Thanked: 4,766 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
#251
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post

....

Also I believe two people (locusf and possibly smurfynet) were looking into getting sfdroid working on the Fairphone 2, not sure if they still have time to work on it or not.
.
Someone willing to pay them a little time? I am willing...
__________________
Go librem

telegram @mike7b4
mastodon.social @mike7b4
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,296 | Thanked: 4,325 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
#252
So,

sfdroid currently runs Android in a window. This is a great memory requirement, we all know.

But, as far as I understand, Android itself simply runs the Java apps in the VM, in this case: ART Dalvik VM.

Is there anything that prevents us from doing the same on Sailfish: setting up the ART and running the Android apps directly there?
__________________
If you want to support my work, you can donate by PayPal or Flattr

Projects no longer actively developed: here
 

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 839 times | Joined on Feb 2013
#253
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
So,

sfdroid currently runs Android in a window. This is a great memory requirement, we all know.

But, as far as I understand, Android itself simply runs the Java apps in the VM, in this case: ART Dalvik VM.

Is there anything that prevents us from doing the same on Sailfish: setting up the ART and running the Android apps directly there?
you can set up the dalvik vm and run basic command line apps. but without android services there would be no GUI

thp has managed to run the dalvik vm on his n9 and i replicated the same. i even implemented it in apkenv: apkenv now has a mode to support games running with some support for the dalvik vm. but there is lack of a java environment which the apps can call into so we still use modules for each game.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,296 | Thanked: 4,325 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
#254
Originally Posted by liar View Post
you can set up the dalvik vm and run basic command line apps. but without android services there would be no GUI

thp has managed to run the dalvik vm on his n9 and i replicated the same. i even implemented it in apkenv: apkenv now has a mode to support games running with some support for the dalvik vm. but there is lack of a java environment which the apps can call into so we still use modules for each game.
We had icedtea on N900, we could theoretically get the same on SFOS...

Assume we built the OpenJDK JRE. Any further problems?
__________________
If you want to support my work, you can donate by PayPal or Flattr

Projects no longer actively developed: here
 

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 839 times | Joined on Feb 2013
#255
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
We had icedtea on N900, we could theoretically get the same on SFOS...

Assume we built the OpenJDK JRE. Any further problems?
yes the android environment?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,595 | Thanked: 3,407 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#256
Hi. Sorry if this question has already been asked but could sfdriod run on another linux distribution like debian or fedora?
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 839 times | Joined on Feb 2013
#257
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. Sorry if this question has already been asked but could sfdriod run on another linux distribution like debian or fedora?
TheKit has managed to do so with mesa
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,595 | Thanked: 3,407 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#258
Originally Posted by liar View Post
TheKit has managed to do so with mesa
Good to know. Would you please provide a link. Thanks!
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,296 | Thanked: 4,325 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
#259
Originally Posted by liar View Post
yes the android environment?
So basically, if we add all the services needed for the GUI, we end up with sfdroid?
__________________
If you want to support my work, you can donate by PayPal or Flattr

Projects no longer actively developed: here
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 839 times | Joined on Feb 2013
#260
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
So basically, if we add all the services needed for the GUI, we end up with sfdroid?
if we do it like i did then it would be sfdroid. if we do it a bit more sophisticated with more development hours it would be alien

kind of
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
apkenv

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:47.