Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
themes require an installation instead, so it's a different matter. wallpapers just need a download and "set as wallpaper" selection..
That's the problem. Unless you want the user to set all 4 wallpapers manually, you need installation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I don't see it as a big problem, not nearly the same as manually install a theme..
Many will use an unrelated wallpaper for each desktop, which is unlikely to need a all-in-one-time change. and even if I want to change the four desktops in one time, it's an "effort" I'll do once in a while...
maybe, for those 4-wallpapers-packs, there can be added a link on the site, under the images, that once clicked installs all in one time?
anyway, I would keep it there.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Are sets of 4,8,10,... wallpapers per .deb package better?
Yes, this way I don't think they need to be separate out from Extras. Perhaps we should have the script send submissions into a moderation queue where administrators on the site can package up similarly themed sets into a single .deb?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I have made some modifications to the code. You should now be able to upload 800, 1600, 2400 and 3200 and have them split.

I haven't tested it though, so good luck
Hm, seems to work as advertised!! Thanks! This really helps, I have several different machines with different programs to create these images, and only one has ps on it that makes splitting easy. Yay!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In the mean time, I have made some more improvements to the site...

There is a new rating system. Now it's out of 5, and you can rate the wallpapers from the wallpaper page. Because of this we can now order by rating or upload date - options which you'll see at the top of any browse page.

I've also added a "Highest Average" box on the side, which shows the users with the higest average rating on their wallpapers. This is a bit skewed at the moment, because I had to wipe all of ratings to get this implemented.

Sooo that means you should go rate your favourite (or not so favourite ) wallpapers.

I'm paying attention to the .deb installation discussion you guys are having - don't have anything to add to it right now, although perhaps we could periodically release "Best Of" wallpapers packs?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
If you want to integrate it with the website, there's always the possibility of creating a new format -- ".maemo-wallpaper", zip file with .pngs + .desktop downloaded with a simple click from the website and readed by an extras app installed on the device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
World 1-1, Super Mario Bros 2 taken from the SNES port:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I would certainly like to see an app created that somehow read the database on the site and presented a way for the user to easily click to 'install' (more like download and place in the right folder) the various wallpapers.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
If watermarks are an issue, I'd suggest making your own wallpaper (which, you are, so that's good). But, don't expect people to "give" you their art without some mention of where it came from. Art is different than apps in that art doesn't have an "About" screen. Anyway, that's just my opinion as well. Everyone always wants something for free.

Tim
I tend to agree, and wish there was a way to easily capture, convey and expose wallpaper metadata for the curious...

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
A little seamless pannable desktop goodness (sorry for the poor quality -- find me at the Summit and I'll show you):

http://samoff.com/random/samoff-n900...le_desktop.mp4

Tim
Were you planning on sharing this image with us? It's awesome!

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers