Notices

I agree it would be better to retrieve the data description in real time, but I'm not realistically going to have time to do that before this chap wants to do his scanning.

OTOH my new N900 has just turned up, so I will set about fixing the Python plugin this evening and can probably code up some plugins, etc., if required, then it's on to the database app (though that will take time)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I agree it would be better to retrieve the data description in real time, but I'm not realistically going to have time to do that before this chap wants to do his scanning.

OTOH my new N900 has just turned up, so I will set about fixing the Python plugin this evening and can probably code up some plugins, etc., if required, then it's on to the database app (though that will take time)
Well, I'm not a chap, I'm a bird (sheila? lady?). But I'm helping a chap .

I do appreciate anything you can do, I am looking for a working Android app at the same time. I'm having problems with finding one that saves prices (?). Just as an aside, I don't understand this...it *has* to be useful to people for "other" insurance purposes outside of international shipping. I just can't be the "only one" who would find this useful. I guess online retailers don't want to provide the information and I do see it's not in their interests.

I also do want to take the time to say I don't mean to come across as demanding, I understand this is a volunteer effort. I'm only trying to be specific about my personal needs and time-frame. I'm KEENLY aware that any updates are a kindness on your part.

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
Well, I'm not a chap, I'm a bird (sheila? lady?). But I'm helping a chap .
Ooops, sorry!

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I do appreciate anything you can do, I am looking for a working Android app at the same time. I'm having problems with finding one that saves prices (?). Just as an aside, I don't understand this...it *has* to be useful to people for "other" insurance purposes outside of international shipping. I just can't be the "only one" who would find this useful. I guess online retailers don't want to provide the information and I do see it's not in their interests.

I also do want to take the time to say I don't mean to come across as demanding, I understand this is a volunteer effort. I'm only trying to be specific about my personal needs and time-frame. I'm KEENLY aware that any updates are a kindness on your part.
It's one of those apps that people don't need to use often though. However for me the need to remember which books I have is quite pressing, but as you say this is a volunteer (aka in my part time when I'm not working) so progress is slow. Will see what I can code up over the weekend anyway in terms of simple saving items and at least getting the Python plugin working again.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Ooops, sorry!

It's one of those apps that people don't need to use often though. However for me the need to remember which books I have is quite pressing, but as you say this is a volunteer (aka in my part time when I'm not working) so progress is slow. Will see what I can code up over the weekend anyway in terms of simple saving items and at least getting the Python plugin working again.
I don't imagine people need to use the app daily, but, "everyone" can use an inventory of their stuff (whether they'll bother is something else entirely), and saving the price is a useful part of that inventory. There are plenty of inventory apps on Android, they just don't save prices for the replacement. It's just this specific feature that's oddly...missing.

Plus, as they buy 'new stuff' they'll want to add it to the inventory. That means it's not a one-use program.

I'll look forward to your progress over the weekend, I'll watch the main mBarcode thread for specifics. Is there a paypal link for donations?

Curious how eachna made out on this. I'm hunting for similar functionality, so digging through the main 78+ page thread

Even now I didn't find a powerful barcode app for big database. But I heard some barcode resources for .net, java, crystal reports. Maybe these can meet your requests,