Active Topics

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Take a look at Cringely's view on Nokia here

Basically claims Nokia is doomed to use Android.

Frank

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
I think he's correct that within a few years almost all phones will have what we now call smartphone capabilities. Chips are getting more powerful and cheaper which will mean there's no particular advantage to making a phone that can't do what smartphones can now do.

I think he's spot on when he identifies Nokia's being a hardware rather than a software company as a major problem in the OS wars. Some of their UI decisions in both Symbian and Maemo seem to reflect a mindset that doesn't focus on the usability of software.

As far as what it means for Symbian and Maemo, I'm not sure he's right. Symbian's installed base is significant and if the higher end Symbian phones can be upgraded to the new QT Symbian, that would provide a large market for developers. This will require a new UI focus but I would see that as doable. I do worry more about Maemo. It could very easily become just an experimental platform for Symbian - Nokia might issue a new version which runs on one new device each year like they have with NITs.

I think this fool actually doesn't have a clue. Anyone with google can fabulate endlessly on ridiculous speculations.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I think this fool actually doesn't have a clue. Anyone with google can fabulate endlessly on ridiculous speculations.
... as Cringely has done on many, many occasions. I don't bother reading his columns any more. To my mind he's more interested in the ad revenue by stirring up flame-fests than imparting real, well thought-out information and opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was confused about which orifice he was communicating through. There didn't seem to be any facts at all to back up wild speculation.

The guy's a total *****. I'm not saying this because of his opinion, but because he obviously knows nothing about Qt and still feels qualified to comment.

"So Qt is growing up at just the time applications and OSes are growing down, thanks to OS X and the iPhone. Qt has made notable progress supporting 3D apps and a huge variety of processors, chipsets, and GPUs."

HELLO? KDE? Growing up my ***...

And it's the job of the kernel and window server to deal with the GPU. Christ.