Notices

Sorry to drill that topic more, but since installation - few hours ago - enhanced-locksreen keep to be reported via Conky as most RAM hungry application on my N900, using 18.7 MB real RAM and 41 MB Virtual Memory at all. Is it supposed to be like that?

As for slow appearing of lockscreen, i don't encountered that. As for missed calls, haven't had a chance to test it myself, but many people reported it here.

Last edited by Estel; 2011-06-25 at 23:48.

Hi
i have just installed this. it looks good
but, are the song buttons just dummy also i am not getting any notification for missed calls and messages. am i missing something or what Hurrian has put up are just ideas which MAG may use. Also can i suggest putting vibration clicking on the unlock button
thanks

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sorry to drill that topic more, but since installation - few hours ago - enhanced-locksreen keep to be reported via Conky as most RAM hungry application on my N900, using 18.7 MB real RAM and 41 MB Virtual Memory at all. Is it supposed to be like that?

As for slow appearing of lockscreen, i don't encountered that. As for missed calls, haven't had a chance to test it myself, but many people reported it here.
Either something is/was terribly wrong in the first version, or something's wrong on your device, that shouldn't be happening.
It only uses 3.8MBs of RAM for me.

1407 1 user S 9472 3.8 0.0 /usr/bin/enhanced-lockscreen

I'll upload this version in a bit, was installing the Harmattan SDK.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
So much wasted space in the media player... let's fix that.

And regarding larger hit areas to make it easier to press buttons:

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-06-26 at 01:25.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Diety-name-of-your-choice, it's not space WASTED. The lock screen is a LOCK screen. It's not the medial player UI. If you want to seek to a specific point in the track you're currently playing, you need the device out long enough that you should just unlock it.

Like vi_ said, minimalism. Now, I'm not saying make it utterly rigid and featureless beyond media-player control - but keep in mind that this is a lock screen.This isn't a media player, this isn't the control HUD for your device. It's a lock screen with the kind of functionality supported that a person might reasonably not want to enter their lock code for. I.E. quickly pause a song, etc. For those of us with ten-digit lock codes, even though some of us are really good at entering them fast, having the lock code interfere in a use-case where you might want to do something quickly is an issue.

The likelyhood of you urgently thinking "oh **** I need to [take a pictute/turn on the LEDs as a flashlight/stop* the music]" is a lot bigger than you going "oh **** I REALLY need to get to 1:56 of this song urgently".

Now, other controls, like changing songs and/or choosing to go to the source app for your notifications (Conversatiosn, fMMS, e-mail, calls, whatever), aren't really "needed" either - and for the latter it wouldn't be good to make them bypass the lock code either (like the to-camera/to-flashlight/etc shortcuts would be useful for - actually I think flashlight can be on/off even without the lock code being entered, so that can be integrated far easier than the camera thing). But they aren't bad ideas, and they fit well enough into the use-case of what-you-might-often-enough-want-to-do-in-order-to-justify-extra-lock-screen-additions.

Honestly, though, I think the kind of stuff you might want to do REALLY urgently - silence phone/music, turn on flashlight, take a picture - THAT is the kind of stuff you really ought to put in the lockscreen.

Then features really likely to be useful (how many notifications you have, the time and date, battery life, maybe other minor status bits like if GPS/WiFi/3G is on, and signal level, etc, other at-a-glance status info that doesn't require any major hardware polling or processing), those would be nice to have, and are likely enough to be useful to justify putting them in.

Slightly more specific, but still reasonable-enough use-cases, like go to next/prev track, or to go to the program from which the notification in question came), that makes sense to include, albeit I would question the need if it increased processing or memory consumption much. Now, a track seek bar might even honestly fit in that, just as validly as the next/prev track buttons - so I'm not actually against that per se - I just do NOT think that stuff like that should be put into the mockups of the eventual next version JUST to add more UI components.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I've uploaded 0.2 to the repos, nothing has changed since yesterday except that the slider doesn't suck anymore.

The background is embedded in the binary, but you can set one manually (no GUI yet) by making a config file.

Code:
nano .config/MohammadAG/enhanced-lockscreen.conf
Add
Code:
[main]
background-url=/path/to/image
The image should change the next time the lockscreen shows.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
I've uploaded 0.2 to the repos, nothing has changed since yesterday except that the slider doesn't suck anymore.

The background is embedded in the binary, but you can set one manually (no GUI yet) by making a config file.

Code:
nano .config/MohammadAG/enhanced-lockscreen.conf
Add
Code:
[main]
background-url=/path/to/image
The image should change the next time the lockscreen shows.
can't bo downed now*+#-

The Following User Says Thank You to pursueky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
The likelyhood of you urgently thinking "oh **** I need to [take a pictute/turn on the LEDs as a flashlight/stop* the music]" is a lot bigger than you going "oh **** I REALLY need to get to 1:56 of this song urgently".

Now, other controls, like changing songs and/or choosing to go to the source app for your notifications (Conversatiosn, fMMS, e-mail, calls, whatever), aren't really "needed" either - and for the latter it wouldn't be good to make them bypass the lock code either (like the to-camera/to-flashlight/etc shortcuts would be useful for - actually I think flashlight can be on/off even without the lock code being entered, so that can be integrated far easier than the camera thing). But they aren't bad ideas, and they fit well enough into the use-case of what-you-might-often-enough-want-to-do-in-order-to-justify-extra-lock-screen-additions.

Honestly, though, I think the kind of stuff you might want to do REALLY urgently - silence phone/music, turn on flashlight, take a picture - THAT is the kind of stuff you really ought to put in the lockscreen.

Then features really likely to be useful (how many notifications you have, the time and date, battery life, maybe other minor status bits like if GPS/WiFi/3G is on, and signal level, etc, other at-a-glance status info that doesn't require any major hardware polling or processing), those would be nice to have, and are likely enough to be useful to justify putting them in.
I'm on my N900 right now, so I cant really cut and paste. Oh man, I cant count how many times I opened the camera cover, closed the camera app, and turned on the flashlight from the applet. It's rather annoying. Perhaps we should watch for a held proximity sensor while the slide is opened to turn on the flashlight and not open the camera app.
And yeah, I agree with you on the battery/signal level info, just havent found a place to put it. i'll probably allocate another bar to that (sysinfo bar anyone?)
You may want to ask MAG regarding whether launching an app from a notification bypasses the lock code.

Anyways, I personally think having the seek bar right there (can probably auto-hide when not being used though) is useful. I just think that making the landscape media bar use more space and show the nice album art is cool, instead of the tiny thumbnail it used to be.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-06-26 at 02:39.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Im currently uploading a vid of version 0.2, it may be added to first post if you like.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmdWMWN-HKc

Last edited by F2thaK; 2011-06-26 at 02:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
I totally agree with Mentalist Traceur. Please, don't overbloat it. Or at least, make everything configurable. But even so, such "candies" got lowest possible priority.

As for new version, enhanced-lockscreen now use 18.3 RAM and 40.7 virtual memory for me. Honestly, i don't think that it's something on my device - I'm very careful with tweaking etc, doing rotfs+optfs backups regularly, and restoring it after every failed attempt to tweak something - even if could reverse by other means, theoretically. I'm using latest CSSU, kp47, ext4 instead of ext3 for home... None of these seems related to problem.

I really have no idea why it eats so much RAM. Can other people confirm/deny this happening?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: