Notices

Poll: Would you install Google Desktop if it was available for Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you install Google Desktop if it was available for Maemo?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello,
does anyone know whether it is possible to install the Google Desktop app for Linux on the N900?
Or is there a working alternative for performing (global) desktop searches?
Google Desktop seems to need glibc 2.3.2+ and gtk+ 2.2.0+
but since I have almost zero knowledge of Linux, i Don't know whether these are present in Maemo 5.
thanks, Ben

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
This is doable but would take some work, most likely more than its worth. What featured are you trying to get out of Google Desktop?

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
What featured are you trying to get out of Google Desktop?
My guess is he likes to get spied by Google

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
My guess is he likes to get spied by Google
lol . . .

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
This is doable but would take some work, most likely more than its worth. What featured are you trying to get out of Google Desktop?
What i hope to get is a tool for "performing (global) desktop searches", see my first post. It's not like I love google either (hence my question for alternatives), but when it comes to searching for information, that's just what they're really good at ;-)
I mean a tool that can search the whole device (contacts, text files, filenames, e-mails, text msgs etc.) for any given string of characters. Isn't anybody else missing that on Maemo? I've been looking around for this for a while, but all I found was the syllabus of a "Desktop search hack fest", which seems to not have produced any installable outcome yet :-)
Cheers Ben

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
What i hope to get is a tool for "performing (global) desktop searches", see my first post. It's not like I love google either (hence my question for alternatives), but when it comes to searching for information, that's just what they're really good at ;-)
I mean a tool that can search the whole device (contacts, text files, filenames, e-mails, text msgs etc.) for any given string of characters. Isn't anybody else missing that on Maemo? I've been looking around for this for a while, but all I found was the syllabus of a "Desktop search hack fest", which seems to not have produced any installable outcome yet :-)
Cheers Ben
Search on Symbian did this... searched everything... hopefully someone (Nokia?) can bring this to Maemo5.

Tags
desktop search, google desktop, search