Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
But then it occurred to me... What if the new RX-51 can just play everything except maybe full 1080p? Wow... The specs suggest that it should be able to handle video a lot better than the current tablets. So maybe tablet-encode will be unnecessary for the next generation... On the other hand, maybe HD video will become so ubiquitous in the next few years that we'll still need to do a lot of transcoding...
Sorry about bringing back the dead (looking for some tablet-encode data), but there is one more reason. Depending on the architecture, transcoded video means less CPU usage, which can translate to longer battery life. And battery life as a criteria never gets obsolete

Yeah, plus with a 4" screen, even if the hardware is beefier, and you can play video back at 1080p, you're still not going to see the difference. Anything over DVD quality resolution is really not going to show any improvement. I actually have a whole bunch of videos encoded at 480x200 to work on the tablet, and they look just fine. And the difference in quality between 480x200 and 720x480 (dvd) is nill from what I can best tell. Or at least not enough to even be of any reason concern.