Notices

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Texas
Can anyone tell me if there is a program to combine/split large video files on Maemo 5? I am looking for something like HJSplit. (There is a linux version available)

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
You could use the command line and "split" and "cat". Google for them . Or do a "man split" or "man cat" on your linux machine (or google).

Simple example:
Code:
split -b 100m movie.ogm testMovie.ogm.split
cat testMovie.ogm.split* > testMovie.ogm
The first line creates files named testMovie.ogmaa testMovie.ogmab testMovie.ogmac etc... which will have a maximum of 100MB each (the last is expected to be smaller ).
The second line combines them into testMovie.ogm.

Last edited by emesem; 2009-12-29 at 20:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Thanks emesem. The command line is a scary place for me...not very learned in using it. But I am willing to learn and promise to use google to help me.

Thanks for your help.

Until then...if anyone knows of a program for dummies like me, pass it along.

This post is for anyone who would like a very specific tutorial on how to combine video files using the x terminal.

Credit for this goes to arsgeek. Here is the link:
http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/08/07/ho...-or-mpg-files/

Below is the copied post with my comments in parenthesis:

I have recently started watching the fab serialized movie Bloodspell, which is created entirely in Neverwinter Nights.

Bloodspell is released in a series of 6-7 MB files. So far they’re up to part 7. This certainly makes it easier to download on to my laptop and enjoy 10 minutes of Bloodspell at a time. However, I want to burn this to a DVD and watch all seven at once on my home DVD player. Before I did this I just wanted to string together the 7 .avi files into one larger file. (I can’t stand a mess!) Sounds like a simple request? Guess what, in my distro, Ubuntu (Maemo), it is!

This will most likely work on just about any linux distro that includes the ability to install mplayer/mencoder.

First, let’s get the right programs.

sudo apt-get install mencoder mplayer
(I used the Application Manager to find and download Mplayer, MEncoder comes with it)

Now that the hard part is out of the way, we’re going to make use of the wonderful cat command. I’d renamed each Bloodspell video as b1.avi - b7.avi. Now to string them all end to end.

cat b1.avi b2.avi b3.avi b4.avi b5.avi b6.avi b7.avi > bloodspell.avi

Now we’re 2/3 of the way there! Stringing together .avi files can cause a breakdown in the sync between video and sound. So, we’ll use mencoder to sort things out.

mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy bloodspell.avi -o bloodspell_final.avi

That’s it! You’ve got one contiguous .avi file now containing all seven bloodspell releases to date. This will of course work with other .avi files. It will also work with .mpg or .mpeg files as well.

Worked like a charm for me as well. Hope this helps someone like myself who is overwhelmed by the command line. If you are still lost, feel free to PM me and I will try to help.

If you are downloading TV series or movies from direct download sites, two of the more commonly used splitter programs are HJSplit and Hacha. You can join the files in our N900 without problem using Hoz or lxSplit.

The Following User Says Thank You to reycat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by emesem View Post
You could use the command line and "split" and "cat". Google for them . Or do a "man split" or "man cat" on your linux machine (or google).

Simple example:
Code:
split -b 100m movie.ogm testMovie.ogm.split
cat testMovie.ogm.split* > testMovie.ogm
The first line creates files named testMovie.ogmaa testMovie.ogmab testMovie.ogmac etc... which will have a maximum of 100MB each (the last is expected to be smaller ).
The second line combines them into testMovie.ogm.
Urgh... OGM...