Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
After 3 weeks of observing several Turkish forums, now I'm completely understanding why such a decision about skipping N900 for Turkish market was made; our market may not be really ready to buy this (kinda developer centric, experimental) device.

But I'm wondering if we can start community translations somehow since the device is out now?
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

i want this machine.
why are not you sell in suudi arabia?
i want to buy this n900.
sell this machine on there.

Originally Posted by gecebekcisi View Post
Hi,

There are about 70 mil. native Turkish speakers in 36 countries (including Turkey, with its population over 74 mil) and IIRC Turkey is a great developing market for mobile device manufacturers and 3G being rolled out just recently (we were 78th country in the world, I know it sucks) helps new device sales a lot.

Also you couldn't imagine the amount of buzz N900 created just in two months before it was announced in NW'09 though there were not even a bit of official advertisement around, WoM and online media did the trick.

But N900 doesn't have Turkish UI, and "Nokia Turkey" replies our questions regarding N900 import as "We can't import it unless it has Turkish UI according to local laws, so we're not thinking of importing it currently".

In addition to this, in Turkey we have a IMEI registration with networks procedure to render devices useless that are stolen, illegally imported or with illegally altered/cloned IMEIs. So when you're going to buy a phone from abroad, you can't ship it by usual ways; it has to be carried with a passenger arriving from abroad to be able to register it's IMEI with networks, otherwise phone will be locked out in a week (I know that's PITA but we have nothing to do against it, damn politics..). That's why we crucially need official import of phones or access to people coming from abroad to make them buy and register for us.

So may I ask kindly; why Turkish is completely left out of the N900 party, while there are lots of less common languages with smaller markets in?

Thanks in advance for any answer.
I agree with you.There are many people waiting for the phone sales.but you said n900 will not sold in the turkey, and many people are forced to obtain the phone in different ways.so many people prefer not to receive the phone, rather than forcing was received.Nokia mobile phone brand in Turkey is the most reliable.but really disappointed us by not selling n900 in Turkey has suffered.
(I'm sorry for my English )

Hi everyone i'm from Turkey Ankara
Nokia said that N900 wont come to Turkey
At first Turkey is most successful marketplace for Nokia. Every smart phone they produced is sold here in a mad scramble. Why don't you sell N900 in Turkey? In Turkey there are more options for smart phones , pda , android phone. If we choose nokia they have to bring this phone Turkey. We know nokia is trying to catch apple or htc in this marketplace. If nokia want to win this race they have to bring Nokia's most powerful gun. And its N900. But if nokia doesnt bring this phone we will choose other devices and watch nokia's fall in this race (sorry for my english)

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
If you can contribute with translating to Turkish, please check this out: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=21

it looks like N900 does not support Turkish sms encoding. when i receive one, it shows all wierd characters. does anybody know a way to read them?

i want to say something, there is a fact: China !
Turkey is a big market -someone said i know, and will be bigger in time. if Nokia would go on paltering Turkey market, products made in China will capture all markets incluted Turkey. in the beginning those cheap products weren't quality, but now they can produce cheaper beside high quality product.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
Nokia has already translated S30, S40 and S60 into turkish years ago. They have just to update the few words between each new release of a phone or system.

With maemo it's completely different, the translation is surely totally different from the one on S60. They have to translate every package in turkish, in a way that's maybe not the way they're used to. Maybe there are technical reasons (as you said, maybe a problem with encoding), so it's possible they don't want to handle too many translations now. Maemo 5 is not really a mass market product. But Maemo 6 will, and for sure they won't ignore half of the planet this time if they want to sell their products.

They have to translate every package in turkish, in a way that's maybe not the way they're used to
maybe it's hard to translate by one by all packages but i think it's easier translating to Turkish than to Arabic. there must be something else.

Last edited by mehmednaim; 2010-01-07 at 22:29.

To Nokia & Maemo,

Plz, Take care of your customers needs & wants, in another word: so far and here in Middle east-GCC also in some countries, there is no arabic keyboard till now??!! WHAT IS THIS!!

Also, the same issue in other countries!!!!

So, think wisely,,,

Thanks