Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
No worries.... ^

I'm sure we'll get other folks with N9's soon that also have SGSII or other top-ends.
Then this thread will get really interesting!!

I was thinking of contacting the cellular techy from telenor, the one in the article linked to earlier.
To see if he could add some more thoughts to this thread.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-07 at 12:59.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Denmark
I don't have an SG2 (anymore), however i do have a ihpone 4. Maybe i could make a test with Iphone ios4.3 and ios5 and for the N9 the stock browser, fennec and opera?

How would you want such test?
Indoor/outdoor locations?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lindegaard For This Useful Post:
Feel free to go crazy with whatever methodology you think is most realistic/practical.

I'm going to have to cull the threads I'm managing to just the 1st 2x in my sig.
I may not even have time for them but fingers crossed...
Later on if this thread's still going, I may consolidate it all into the OP etc.

Good luck, I'm sure many people (me included) will be interested in your findings.

Thanks!

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
I have already posted this question about GPS reception on another thread, and even got a very quick and positive answer from Hihu, but as Jalyst pointed out, this thread might be more relevant for further discussions, so I quote myself here:

Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post
GPS reception quality, anyone?

I was delighted to read about the good reception quality of the N9... on the phone side.

As this seems to have been achieved in part thanks to the all-polycarbonate body, I was wondering if the GPS reception also benefits from this clever piece of engineering.
I can't remember having read any comparison of GPS reception quality, nor even comments about how good or bad it is...

Thanks in advance for any input!
Here also Hihu's answer:

Originally Posted by Hihu View Post
GPS reception is excellent. Satellites are found very fast and I havent experienced any dropouts. I drove 250km today with drive navigation. It worked great!
As a bonus question: Is there a GPS tracking tool included, or a third party program available? Has anyone already used this functionality on the N9?
Thanks (again).

The Following User Says Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
IIRC qgill commented on gps performance here too, last 3 pages
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3672&page=2

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Im getting really good reception in san francisco on tmobile. 3-6mbs down, very good reception.

Also gps lock is almost instant.

Note I am coming from a G2, and ofcourse it blows it away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrentaye For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I found that using 3G mode reduces reception, dual mode is better

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
I have very bad experience with my N9 signal reception . It happened to me many times of having to remove / put the SIM in the device to retrieve a signal . Some calls are very noisy . Having never know in the future if my connection will work or not is one of the most frustrating experiences moving anywhere. I don;t know if the problem come from my operator or from my N9 . I never have this problem with my other phones

The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:
Compared to HTC Desire I used to have it's the same. Sometimes I get worse reception than with Desire but sometimes it's a little bit better.

So in average it's the same, but the reception with N9 is more inconsistent.

Edit: I didn't change the operator when buying new phone, so the change is most likely caused by the phone

The Following User Says Thank You to jejansso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
I have very bad experience with my N9 signal reception . It happened to me many times of having to remove / put the SIM in the device to retrieve a signal .
If you have to re-insert the SIM to get a signal, it sounds very much like a broken phone. I'd say it is time to get out your warranty and call Nokia support!