Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
This is the best web & media device I have ever owned:

1. Web = amazing
2. Audio = very good
3. Video = quality and format coverage is amazing
4. Apps, more codecs and games...... well, when they finally do come out, I am sure they will be amazing too

With a VERY heavy heart though, as a phone, the following problems easily make this the worse "phone" I have ever owned and leaning me to a return.

I have worked in the same area for seven years and used the N-Gage, Dash, T349, G1 and Nokia 3610 and have NEVER had one connection problem. Since using the N900 for travel on the same roads I now get the following in the exact same areas/spots:

"No data service" followed quickly by "No cellular service". The N900 then takes a few minutes before it reacquires any connection at all- even after entering a high coverage area. I have lost connection to calls in those areas and have been methodically testing my other phones for comparison. Zero cellular connection problems with the other phones and no data issues with the Dash or G1.

At home where I normally get steady full bars of 2G, I can leave the N900 in the same place and I get "dancing bars" that range from no data service to two bars of Edge. G1 is rock solid in same place with full 2G bars.

Had I not loved everything else about the N900, it would already be going back. I was on tier 2 Tmo tech support for an hour trying to figure it out. They changed my data profile from Android data service to smart-phone, but I doubt that is going to make a difference. Prior to that, my IMEI was registered and I got a new SIM for the N900.

I would expect the radio on these devices to either work or not work, so I can not see how I am the only person having connection problems with the N900. Everyone else raves that they get much better reception, but has everyone checked in weak areas?

This is SO frustrating, but I need to at least have a reliable phone connection while on the road. Two devices is not an option, since I could use the G1 for phone calls and my Archos 5 for media and Flash already. I wanted ONE device to cover it all.

I am not seeing how I am the only person having these problems, so maybe there is a problem with the radio, but when I am in a place with a good Edge signal, it works great. It is when I enter places that do not have a good signal is where I have the problem.

The irony sucks, but irony usually does- suck.

added:

BTW: My Nokia tech support experience was sad- The "tech" person I spoke with did not know the difference from GPS and GPRS Really.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-04 at 01:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
mine is already on it's way back for the exact same reasons.

The Following User Says Thank You to alejovh1 For This Useful Post:
Is it not possible firmware will correct this , or are these hardware issues?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
Is it not possible firmware will correct this , or are these hardware issues?
More than likely hardware issues. probably can't correct signal attenuation issues in firmware unless a possible baseband update, and even then it's highly unlikely.

Are you guys getting your units replaced? Or getting a refund?

I'm just getting a refund, the cs from Nokia I spoke with was not friendly at all to pursue an exchange.

Its so weird my signal is actually better with my N900
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

By default mine will be a refund, since Dell is having a hard time fulfilling orders. I will then not get the discount (got mine for $469). I will wait until the dust settles with the N900 and see if this can be fixed.

So are there two bad batches? One with reboots and mic problems, the other with weak reception for low signals. Probably not, but there seems to be three camps:

1. Reboot & mic problems
2. Weak reception in low 2G signal areas and "dancing bars"
3. Perfect units

I think that after the lust wears off and people actually go out and drive around with the N900 in low signal areas there may be a few more of item 2. The thought if getting stuck on a Kentucky road in the winter with no phone coverage is not pleasant. Yes, I know that for many years there were no phones and people got stuck on roads, but we have phones now- it should at least work and that is the point.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
At home where I normally get steady full bars of 2G, I can leave the N900 in the same place and I get "dancing bars" that range from no data service to two bars of Edge. G1 is rock solid in same place with full 2G bars.
The only issuye that I have noticed is that my N has problems switching into 3G coming out of a 2.5 zone.

I have set my Network to Manual (T-Mobile) and it seems to be better then when it was Automatic.

I was planning on talking to t-mo about that... but I may just hit my head against a rock for an hour and see if it achives the same result.

But I was excited yeasterday I saw 3.5G for the first time.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

My poor reception issue in low 2G areas almost made me make "the call" to Dell to return the N900. Then all of it's sexiness lured me away from the phone:

1. Great web
2. Lots of fun Flash games play great
3. Music sound quality and nice volume level
4. Killer codec support for video
5. New Maemo interface and its interesting newness
6. Current emulators show great old school potential
7. Quake 3 and other future ports- you KNOW Duke Nukem must be coming.
8. Cool, though sometimes "lovingly" sarcastic Maemo Talk forum folks.

The N900 is like a sexy lady who you know will eventualy screw you over (in this case, probably getting stuck on a remote Kentucky road- not able to get a signal), but you can not turn away from its beauty.

I also feel like Smeagol from Lord of the Rings, muttering about "my preciousss".

I think I will watch one of the LOTR movies tonight- extended edition

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-04 at 19:44.