Notices

Which BlackBerry Messenger is being ported? Cause as some users here have pointed out, they all seem to be closed sourced....

I'm not sure what you are really going to achieve here there are already messenger apps for n900 and most people I suspect will have an unlimited sms plan?? If you were to get it to communicate with BBM we would be looking at something potentially great

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
Trying to reverse engineer the BBM protocol is illegal.
If you aren't trying to do that, then I don't get your post.

Originally Posted by scyzor View Post
By virtue of what law?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
a BBM app would be great to communicate with all the other blackberrys. I'll be checking this thread often. Heck, i'm willing to put up good money for its development if Prozac thinks it could speed up the process...

The Following User Says Thank You to uhbhatti88 For This Useful Post:
Why did you create two threads?

And could mods merge the two. Getting difficult to follow two identical threads with different posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Are you sure? afaik, a communication protocol is not software, so can be analized. we have several open source attempts for different protocols like samba or cifs, activesync, ntfs, and every wine component.

the real issue, is the fact that is HARD AS HELL, and will burn you life down. even with experienced programmers, is a task that can take months, just to make an unstable version.

is not for everyone, we need heroes for a task like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
Are you sure? afaik, a communication protocol is not software, so can be analized. we have several open source attempts for different protocols like samba or cifs, activesync, ntfs, and every wine component.
It depends on the country in question. Atleast in the US of A it is indeed illegal if the protocol is patented and/or utilizes encryption. It would still be possible to do it, but it would have to be two-phase: one person/team analyzes and documents the API, the other person/team implements the API. Then it would be legal, but it would be illegal if the same person was both analyzing the API and coding a clone of it.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
Actually, ignore what I said, I'm not sure of it. But why do you think you don't see any messenger supporting BBM with this massive linux community ?
Even if it was possible, we would still need a valid BB Pin which is only present on BlackBerries.

Actually, ignore what I said, I'm not sure of it. But why do you think you don't see any messenger supporting BBM with this massive linux community ?
Even if it was possible, we would still need a valid BB Pin which is only present on BlackBerries.
What if you already had a blackberry pin? Would that make a difference?

Tags
messaging, no you aren't, pingchat