Notices

Version 1.5.1 on extras-devel, read usage on first post.

Fixed:
*No more seg faulting
*Shift/ctrl works flawlessly
*Enter should work with CSSU and pre-CSSU

Big thanks go to szopin, who organize debugging session on IRC with upstream developer and got every issues fixed!

Maemo specific:
*fullscreen
*saves to the save/ -directory (I hope it will be ~/.brogue on next release)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Thank you!!! This game is a treat.
Only issues so far: default save game path is with save/ but not so while loading a game, on high score screen (press space to play again) only space seems to work (enter would normally shut the game I believe).
Mouse is working great (though once it required pressing enter to move into position - look mode? - and directional keys were moving cursos instead of the char, space fixed it so not a big issue, will report upstream as this is a new feature and most likely fix is needed there)
Only maemoesque tweak that comes to mind: doubletap for autotravel, since look mode is removed (unless abovementioned bug) it would be nice to 'look' at one tap, 'travel' at doubleclick. Brogue is meant for desktops where hovering works ok (you can do it too, click outside of explored area and drag over item for view) so this is unlikely to be included upstream. With inclusion of trap/treasure rooms this could be handy.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
1.6 has just been released. Maemo specific mouse problems that 1.5.2 introduced are luckily gone and the newest version seems rock-stable so far. Changelog:

# The “quest room” system has been expanded and enhanced to add further variety and interactivity to the dungeon. Some quest rooms can be generated in open areas, and the same system is used to create flavor terrain according to themes for particular areas.
# The game is entirely playable by mouse control. A row of buttons has been added to the bottom of the screen to allow mouse access to all game commands. All commands remain accessible from the keyboard as before.
# Buttons appear within item description windows to permit mouse-driven item actions (equip, unequip, apply, drop, throw, call).
# Ascend and descend are no longer standalone commands (though the ‘>’ and ‘<’ keys will route the player to the stairs as before); instead, ascent and descent occurs automatically when the player steps onto the stairs.
# The sidebar supports mouse interaction.
# The “MORE” prompt is much less common, eliminating instances of “message-lock” when playing message-intensive builds (e.g. conjurers, jelly masters)
# Multitudes of other interface improvements.
# Pathfinding with travel and explore commands tries to route through spaces that are known to be free of traps, and attempts to avoid annoying terrain like spiderwebs.
# Several new monsters, including pit bloats, goblin mystics, acidic jellies, underworms and sentinels.
# New item: the Staff of Protection.
# Potions of telepathy now reveal the terrain in the vicinity of distant monsters.
# Allies’ monster description screen reveals when the ally is ready to learn a new trick.
# Creatures recover from paralysis when they take damage, but any melee attacks against a paralyzed creature (including the player) are treated as attacks of opportunity, which always hit and deal treble damage. Paralysis potions contain half as much gas, but the paralysis status lasts twice as long.
# Eels and other media-bound monsters are more aggressive.
# Teleportation now tries to move the teleporting creature to a position that is outside of the field of view from the starting position.
# When jellies split, they will not spawn on the far side of walls.
# A confirmation prompt ensures that players won’t inadvertently degrade their weapons by attacking acid mounds and similar creatures.
# The dungeon is larger by one row.
# Runic weapons are somewhat less common, particularly among high-damage weapon types.
# Poison from staffs of poison will stack with the target’s existing poison.
# The sidebar will reveal when a poisoned creature has absorbed a fatal dose.
# Reflection armor will auto-identify when the player reflects a bolt.
# Monkeys are willing to steal cursed items, as the previous behavior coerced the player to engage in boring item identification rituals.
# Incendiary darts will now ignite wall-mounted turrets when thrown directly at them.
# The high scores screen accommodates five more entries.
# Added a quit command to abort the game in progress and return to the high scores screen.
# Pressing tilde during play will reveal the current turn number in addition to the dungeon seed.
# Windows and Linux versions have full-screen mode (press F12 or alt-enter for full-screen).
# Windows and Linux versions support key mapping.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Version 1.6.0 pushed to the extras-devel:

Maemo-modifications:
* Starts fullscreen
* number of MESSAGE_LINES 6 (original 3)
* game area is 100x34 (original100x31)
* ARM-char -issue fixed [1]

[1] http://brogue.createforumhosting.com...ault-t228.html

---
Saving-folder is not changed. Still waiting upstream will handle it properly. No menu shortcut.

After installing run:
Code:
root
chown -R user /opt/brogue

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Hey Aapo!

Thanks a lot for the new version. I have an issue though with one of your decisions. Changing the game area has two implications:

1. People playing standard brogue will not be able to sync their save from desktop (win/mac/linux) to carry on slashing on their phone,
2. While food in the last version seems plentiful, with bigger game area it seems a lot more lacking (maybe it increases chances of good drops, no idea).

Considering RNG, I have definitely NOT played enough games to be sure about point 2, but it does seem like it. I assume extra message lines will not impact issue 1, not sure though (will try today, even though MORE prompts are much rarer now it is a nice feature). As 1.6 has some issues on its own, we're likely to get 1.6.1 bugfix version soon, thought I'd point my objections beforehand.

Disclaimer: As a lot of people here treat opinions as personal attacks, I am in no way trying to discredit your work. I appreciate it a LOT, so hope none taken.
To the 'FIX IT yourself' crowd, I am attaching brogue 1.6 (gcc 4.4 tcod compiled) with no changes to source. Add line 'f F12' to keymap to be able to toggle fullscreen with 'f' key ingame (ESC, > and < can also be mapped, but only lowercase letters work). Copy executable as broguewhatever to /opt/brogue/ and you should be able to load your desktop saves.
Attached Files
File Type: gz brogue.tar.gz (232.3 KB, 94 views)

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Disclaimer: As a lot of people here treat opinions as personal attacks, I am in no way trying to discredit your work.
I take critics and opinions as suggestion to make it better (not only for Brogue, but in life in general).

What you said about game area, I trust you. I haven't yet have time to really play Brogue (I'm on level 99/100 on Angband on N900!). With 1.6.1 I will keep it same as other platforms (I thought dungeon area is scrolling and this affects only visible area).

First brogue (1.4) on N900 needed some tuning and there were that crashing bug also. I made much modifications then, and now they are all* fixed in upstream, but not this area-thing, so I just tuned it as previously.

*1.6 has introduced own bugs, as I cited.

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Yeah, don't waste your enchantments on paralysis weapons, they are currently broken and never end up paralysing (new feature - break paralysis upon being attacked is borked). Quite few of other new features bring other minor issues, nothing as major though. Will update once bugfix version shows up (should be soon as jday and pender are very productive). And good luck with angband, 99 is impressive!

EDIT: just checked with message_lines 6 in rogue.h, saved game was out of sync this might be addressed in 1.6.1 though, will check with jday

Last edited by szopin; 2012-01-18 at 20:09.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Who can find / link a better roguelike font? I would like a fairly wide font (almost square) with little kerning. Am playing a lot of Omega.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Heya Arnim.

This is easily my favorite font.

VeraMono_CP437.zip

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
1.6.1 has just been released. Your move Aapo (haven't yet tested compatibility of different nr of msg lines, but doubt this has been addressed, compiles nicely on gcc4.4)