Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I disagree. They are there because of sailfish.
Otherwise, they would stay on Android.

Personally, I would prefer the money spend on the Alien Dalvik license crap to have had better HW on J1.
*snip*
Oh, i wrote misinterpretable.
I sincerly hope they are here for Sailfish!
But few 2016 "communcation users" are willing to mortify themself by using a pure maemo or even sailfish phone they have to tinker with to get recent jobs demand done or even use a second phone.
The second phone becomes the first phone in one day for convenince reasons...

Jolla made the decision to incorporate a crutch to overcome the recepted weakness and instead of thanking them for still being alive and providing on of the last chances in history for mobile linux we are sitting here complaining the crutch is becoming to important?
Blame the circumstances at nokia, lazy world and big money, not the guys trying hard in providing an alternative in times nobody needs one anymore.'
Heck, Lennart Poettering has given up on mobile linux last time i asked him.
The only chance left imho is coming through the backdoor by being a more reliable host for your apps than the others and provide a more convincing package. Or die in beauty.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I accept all that, mosen. The trouble is that the time has come that the crutch has become a burden. For some (most?) users, Jolla is nothing but another Android phone with a different launcher. Exactly as you say, the second phone OS has become the first one. What's the point in that? If you want/need Android that much, why going 999 steps and stopping before the last one? Go the full 1000 and get a phone that suits you.

Rather than a cruch, I put forward an analogy with child bike stabilizers (small side wheels). Some say they help the kids to get on the bike. Others say they teach the kids to rely on them too much and inhibit the learning of riding the bike properly. I am leaning towards the latter, having observed both my kids.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Rather than a cruch, I put forward an analogy with child bike stabilizers (small side wheels). Some say they help the kids to get on the bike. Others say they teach the kids to rely on them too much and inhibit the learning of riding the bike properly. I am leaning towards the latter, having observed both my kids.
Exactly.

But to be honest, what would be the point of a Jolla without Android support?
If it would be the continuation/optimization of Maemo/MeeGo (not sure of Meltemi) and hardware wise the N950! Not to speak of the Store support and revenue of developers. Then .....

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
*snip* If you want/need Android that much, why going 999 steps and stopping before the last one? Go the full 1000 and get a phone that suits you.*snip*
Because i am all for healing a severly burned leg i got from staying on that burning plattform until the fires went out.
I will do whatever it costs to prevent cutting it off just because the crutch has begun to works so well.
Doctors would need to convince me the point of no return has passed to do that.

The bike analogie is missing the infrastructure to ride on.
Everyone is driving stabilized motorbikes on incompatible paved highways and i would need to tell my daughter it is only possible to circle in the frontyard without the compatibillity stabilizers and shout out VERY loud to talk with friends.
Heroistic construction workers have slowly paved small bikeways parallel to the existing Highways surrounded by applauding and donation throwing cyclist spectators in hope to reach the supermarket or 1€ store "soon".
Others are keen to ride the sidewalk or even master the rough roadside on a selfbuilt mountainbike.

My sincere question, at which point in time would it have been possible to prevent the loss of felt 98% of the contruction workers who suddenly paved roads into boring toll highways instead of advancing our special Bikeways into something completely different, e.g. Hyperlooptunnels?

Last edited by mosen; 2016-07-30 at 11:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
My JollaC suddenly cant show the apps required 4.4 version
It said not compatible..

Last edited by TMavica; 2016-08-01 at 02:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
My JollaC suddenly cant show the apps required 4.4 version
It said not compatible..
What apps are those? Could that be play-services issue by any chance?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lal View Post
What apps are those? Could that be play-services issue by any chance?
I dont know, it suddenly like that
example: Pokemon, it is now incompatible, before is not

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
anyone got this problem also?
My google play is 6.8.24 and google service is 9.4.52

Just found out, is the store problem mostly

Last edited by TMavica; 2016-08-01 at 18:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:

You did not write about trying different appstores?
Aptoid did "things" for me when Google play failed and i completely wiped dalvik to get it working again.
I used Titanium Backup to not lose android userland stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

It happened to me with Pokémon GO. I believe it's a quirk in the new Pokémon version. Downloading and installing the .apk works.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jameson For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os