Always love news like this buried in a blog post at the 11th hour:

"James Noori on September 27, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Your concerns are understood, but there is more to it than just payment issues (which we thought at first that it only was that) but at least for the first release we won’t have the availability for USA and Canada market. No promises for later releases either but we will definitely work on the issues."

As a US based enthusiast waiting from the beginning of Jolla, this is a gut punch. I'm resigned that i may never own a fully featured Sailfish device, fine.

Can't wait to see what last second limitations are imposed on Chen's devices. I can't imagine whatever is hosing this for the US on the Xperia wouldn't do the same for his stuff. Please let it be directly related to Jolla's payment system (and if so WTF) and not some general licensing or export nonsense.

Last edited by Drekkie; 2017-09-27 at 17:00.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Always love news like this buried in a blog post at the 11th hour:

"James Noori on September 27, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Your concerns are understood, but there is more to it than just payment issues (which we thought at first that it only was that) but at least for the first release we won’t have the availability for USA and Canada market. No promises for later releases either but we will definitely work on the issues."

As a US based enthusiast waiting from the beginning of Jolla, this is a gut punch. I'm resigned that i may never own a fully featured Sailfish device, fine.

Can't wait to see what last second limitations are imposed on Chen's devices. I can't imagine whatever is hosing this for the US on the Xperia wouldn't do the same for his stuff.

Right there with you. When I read the thread I just shook my head. The community port works on it in the US on t-mobile - with the exception of some MMS fiddling - the same deal with my Nexus 5 that has been running it for over a year...

So, really, what's the deal? Why bury that news and not update it on the blog post? Why alienate an entire continent?

Very close to walking away from the table and picking up a flip phone.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Right there with you. When I read the thread I just shook my head. The community port works on it in the US on t-mobile - with the exception of some MMS fiddling - the same deal with my Nexus 5 that has been running it for over a year...

So, really, what's the deal? Why bury that news and not update it on the blog post? Why alienate an entire continent?

Very close to walking away from the table and picking up a flip phone.
Yep, i've had an old version on my nexus 5 for awhile too, was hoping for something that finally got the android support and could do an OTA update that isn't a pain.

Guess we'll wait and see. I've been pretty forgiving of their missteps but im annoyed with the communication here at a minimum.

Probably wouldn't have bought an Xperia if they had made a conservative statement like this up front instead of implying there was just a minor detail to iron out for north america. SMH

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Stop acting like it's the end of the world. Buy a EU prepaid card and buy SFOS with it, stating your country as EU. Easy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Stop acting like it's the end of the world. Buy a EU prepaid card and buy SFOS with it, stating your country as EU. Easy.
That's a fair point. Do you have any recommendations for EU prepaid cards that service US customers? Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Probably wouldn't have bought an Xperia if they had made a conservative statement like this up front instead of implying there was just a minor detail to iron out for north america. SMH
Lol, me too. I even sourced one of the SCR50 touch cover cases... only place I could get it was eBay in Australia... for almost $60. Oh well, maybe with a EU prepaid card all will be well!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
I suppose you have to give your Jolla account credentials to the person who wants to help you to buy the SFOS X image since it is tied to the Jolla account.
Or just create a dedicated mail address only for use on the Xperia X phone?

The more times goes by the release of Sailfish X seems more and more troublesome.

It sounds like Sony can't decide if they really want you to flash your phone. You need initial firmware in order to utilize proprietary features and if you dare to unlock your bootloader a warning will get displayed every time your phone boots eventrough Sailfish X is shared collaboration between Jolla and Sony which might mean Sony don't view SailfishOS as malware.

Jolla has co-engineered other devices born with SailfishOS and burned their hands a couple of times (eg. with Turning Phone) but none has taken so long time to finish software wise as the Xperia X.

I'm really worried about the long delay. On one hand we could hope that Jolla is making this big effort to support arm64 out of the box in the future and on the other hand I worry that Jolla really struggles badly to survive and goes an long to way to please potentials partners (without proper signed contracts) which might blow them off once again.

This delay does harm the public image of Jolla big time and many potential partners might have their interest in SailfishOS by the time Sailfish X gets released to the public as a stable platform.

A lot of other phones on market does support flashing without the need to utilize security flaws in order to backup initial features and to be able to restore warranty.

If Jolla would have known what they know about the Open Device Program today I think they've gone with another collaborator.

At this time I consider SailfishOS to be on life support. It's really slow on new features and feature plans for the platform, but I really hope they survive and the OS comes up to speed with new features at a regular basis before the Purism Librem 5 sees the light.

Jolla knew about GPLv3 in advance of the design of platform. A license Google has avoided by choosing BSD userland tools instead of the GNU counterparts and build the platform upon a homegrown Java WM instead on relaying tools used by most Linux dists.

If Jolla wants to keep developing SailfishOS as a distribution which shares many libraries and software tools with a desktop based Linux distribution they need to accept GPLv3 as they can't go on with old versions of gnu tools such as the gcc compiler or qt 5.6 forever nor can they maintain a fork of these tools for years to come.

I don't want Jolla to be the new Nokia.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2017-09-28 at 10:41.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
That's a fair point. Do you have any recommendations for EU prepaid cards that service US customers? Thanks!
revolut should do .... but you need an androud or ios mobile to use it ... :-(

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
revolut should do .... but you need an androud or ios mobile to use it ... :-(
Shouldn't be a problem for someone with an Xperia X !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Shouldn't be a problem for someone with an Xperia X !
True! Plus my girlfriend has an iPhone... won't be a problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x