Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So as not to even further derail the graphics tablet thread where the topic was first brought up, I have decided to create a new thread dedicated to hints and tricks about advanced text entry using the Sailfish on-screen keyboard.

To start with, it turns out you can press and hold Shift while typing:

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
But it IS implemented on Sailfish.
So it is! I stand corrected. I could have sworn I tried it unsuccessfully in the past but it may have been before some update that fixed it. Or I may have confused it with Shift+arrows. Or just simply confused. Either way, my apologies.

Still, Shift+aroows would be luverly. As would the Ctrl key.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
And furthermore I would like to know how you guys are able to post here on TMO with a stock Jolla phone at all?
It takes a lot of determination but it is just about doable for simple posts. Anything just a little bit more involved and I reach for my N900 (like for example for typing this reply).

Maybe the seasoned Jolla users can correct me like pycage did above but I have not figured out how to:
1) Select a piece of text in the edit box and copy it. Essential for joining two quotes in a single reply like this one.
2) Same as 1 but change the selected text to bold (italic, etc). You know, like Ctrl+B on a PC or the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
With arrow keys on the KBD and copy/paste working correctly I can however do pretty nicely, thank you.
Could you enlight me/us?
c/p on a TMO text field?
How to select?

Or did I get you wrong?

--edit
At least I now have an (iOS) keyboard with arrows, so simple texting is possible.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-01-26 at 20:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Could you enlight me/us?
c/p on a TMO text field?
How to select?

Or did I get you wrong?
Well, there's a thread Keyboard layouts for Jolla's Sailfish OS which details how to add arrow keys to your VKB.
Using da arrows, it is possible to better position the cursor and copy selected text.

--edit
At least I now have an (iOS) keyboard with arrows, so simple texting is possible.
External BT KBD, right? That works also, and best if you can manage to connect it somehow to the device.
I'm waiting for the TOHOKBD2 which will solve the VKB-eating-vauable-screen-estate problem for me.

No external kbd but the (latest) en keyboard with arrows pichlo pointed to in exactly above thread.
But how to select and copy???

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, there's a thread Keyboard layouts for Jolla's Sailfish OS which details how to add arrow keys to your VKB.
Using da arrows, it is possible to better position the cursor and copy selected text.

External BT KBD, right?
No, keyboard from the thread you've just pointed out is exactly the one peterleinchen is talking about. Have you noticed what it is called?

Now, I would really love to know HOW you can select text "using da arrows". I must be doing something wrong as it has never worked for me.

(Err, looks like I've been beaten )

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

--edit
At least I now

hey one can really select and copy!
but what headaches
(to clarify: with patch browser-text-select and NOT with arrows-selected-text)

and I am sure this only works in browser, right?
SURE, but not in a text box. Only on normal page, cmon.

What a ....... (let's say "regression")

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-01-26 at 21:55.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Tried the virtual keyboard with arrows patched in multiple times the last few months but it's very buggy. Well, the arrow keys, that is. The cursor keeps jumping around when using the arrow keys in native apps (they don't work in Android apps).

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Tried the virtual keyboard with arrows patched in multiple times the last few months but it's very buggy. Well, the arrow keys, that is. The cursor keeps jumping around when using the arrow keys in native apps (they don't work in Android apps).
Not only that but when you e.g. move back with the cursor to delete something and type something else instead, sometimes the thing you deleted or typed gets copied in some buffer and then appear randomly when you move the cursor again. It's so unpredictable that I always have to keep an eye on not just what I type here and now, but also what I typed 5 minutes ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
At least some consistency of misbehaviour here
The arrows on N9 vkb do the same (sometimes, unpredictably).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It is true, the implementation seems not to be very consistent.

I believe this well might be the reason that Jolla has not implemented it as out-of-the-box working procedure and you have to turn it on via a tweak. If it was part of the normal Sailfish experience I guess they would get a lot of heat about it

I hope it will be fixed soonish and enabled as standard option.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: