Something started happening yesterday on my N9.... when I type messages, the keyboard has a mind of its own and just starts punching a whole heap of random letters by itself. It's like when a phone freezes and it tries to catch up with what you have typed... only the phone hasn't frozen...

Any idea what could be causing this? Was doing the same thing after a reboot

Edit/Update

So now i've figured out that the phone isn't pressing keys by itself, it is actually registering me pressing buttons when my fingers are just above the screen, not actually pressing the screen

So in other words, I can type without touching the screen, all I need to do is hover my finger about half a centimetre above the screen.....

Nokia said to reset my phone but i'm not even going to bother, i'm guessing this is a hardware issue. Very strange if you ask me

Another Update 18/02

Took the phone back to Nokia, they said they replaced the sensor and display... but when I got it back and took it home, I realised it's the same screen as the black spots that appear in the dark are exactly the same, so I don't think they actually replaced the display, AND, the phone is doing the same thing :/

Last edited by Dared; 2012-02-17 at 22:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Wipe the screen. Make sure there's no oily residue, moisture, or anything else that might impede the functioning of the capacitive screen.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
LOL actually sounds pretty cool

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I have issues where the VKB disappears and leaves behind a white space. I can still type but have no clue what keys im hitting.

Add it to the long list of issues.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
Something started happening yesterday on my N9.... when I type messages, the keyboard has a mind of its own and just starts punching a whole heap of random letters by itself. It's like when a phone freezes and it tries to catch up with what you have typed... only the phone hasn't frozen...

Any idea what could be causing this? Was doing the same thing after a reboot

Edit/Update

So now i've figured out that the phone isn't pressing keys by itself, it is actually registering me pressing buttons when my fingers are just above the screen, not actually pressing the screen

So in other words, I can type without touching the screen, all I need to do is hover my finger about half a centimetre above the screen.....

Nokia said to reset my phone but i'm not even going to bother, i'm guessing this is a hardware issue. Very strange if you ask me
why are you even complaining, your n9 obviously has got some technology from the future where you can type in the air

screw iphone, this takes touch sensitivity to a whole new level

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-13 at 11:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Cagliari, Italy
Hi!
I'm having the same problems....
How do You managed to solve it?
Do you?

[QUOTE=requiem_76;1202480]Hi!
I'm having the same problems....
How do You managed to solve it?
Do you?[/QUOTE

it turned out to be caused by a 3rd party app.. Flash your phone

Already done.....
I've done it yesterday afternoon ( I zeroized it).The phone was empty....
After a reboot, while I was choosing the timezone, the device went crazy.....so, I suppose that is not a software problem....

Originally Posted by requiem_76 View Post
Already done.....
I've done it yesterday afternoon ( I zeroized it).The phone was empty....
After a reboot, while I was choosing the timezone, the device went crazy.....so, I suppose that is not a software problem....
Hmmm that's very strange. I was convinced it was a hardware problem, but it turned out to be the QuickTweak app.

Did you backup your phone and then reinstall everything from the backup?

Hi, and thank You for the reply.....
The only apps by third party that I had were file manager and a radio fm app.....I never used QuickTweak.
What I've done ,in sequence,is:
1)I reset the phone.....and it works fine....then ,with my BackUp, I reinstalled everything....
Than the problems started again ( impossible to write sms, because the phone digit itself; or,the phone always opens the apps that are at the bottom of the screen; or it swipe the screen left to the right and right to the left...).
2)I tried to take off all the apps,one by one....but with no good results...
3)i flashed the phone with zeroize ( "flasher -f -F main.bin --erase-user-data=secure"),it reinstall the roots.....than I reboot the phone....and I still have the problem.
Maybe the bottom part of the touch screen sensor is broken? I really don't know....
Maybe I've done a wrong command for the zeroize?