Active Topics

I think it would b better if it was on the left hand side.. and the usb charger should have been on the right hand side..... anyone, except me, finds this annoying??
let me explain,

u have ur phone in ur pocket, listening to music via headphones... the phone is upside down in ur pocket.. u receive a call - u have to turn the phone the other way to talk... ....
ok, u will talk via headphones probably, but u still have to turn it to see who is calling or to answer/decline the call....

secondly, ur phone is on charge (most of the time it normally is) and u receive a call... Its definitely not a good idea to take it off charge, it might break the connector as its hard.. so, I leave it on charge and take the call... the charger is ON TOP hanging ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
I think it depends on how one use it.

When its on my desk and I am listening to the music the charger plug on top and headphones on botton makes perfect sense, cause that way the headphone wires just lead up.

But if its in your pocket I think you are right.
Usually I like the phone plug on the side ... and if you look at the phone as a tablet then it does exactly that.

If you have your phone in your pocket while using headphones, can't you just pull the phone out and angle it upwards by about 30 degrees to read the screen correctly? All you have to do is put the phone in your pocket so that the screen is facing outwards.

You can always use speaker phone while your phone is charging. If speakerphone isn't an option, I don't see any problem using the phone while it's charging... I do it all the time and my cable doesn't feel like it's breaking.

Originally Posted by RshaoKh View Post
All you have to do is put the phone in your pocket so that the screen is facing outwards.
i never put the phone screen facing outwards in my pocket.. never.. NEVER

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It is the apocolypse.

UNderpants made sense.

If you're not willing to face the screen outwards, then you still have to take the entire phone out of your pocket to view calls regardless of the positioning of the 3.5mm socket. The only difference is that you have to take an extra 0.5 seconds to flip it around. IMO, taking the phone out is much more of a hassle than flipping it. Even if the 3.5mm socket was on the other side, you would still have to take the entire phone out to reach the Accept/Reject buttons.

Also, if the 3.5mm socket were on top, wouldn't you have a wire coming down from the top and hitting you in the face while you were talking on the phone?

Last edited by RshaoKh; 2010-02-17 at 04:42.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Industrial design 101
The USB and headphone should be reversed - when charging / sync cable comes out the top this is a problem using the phone while hooked to a PC or charging. This is a typical situation for me.

The n73 headset comes out the top, this is practical as you point out.

It would be more like a phone if cabels came out the bottom, not nesesary with the head set as you dont hold it up to your ear.
Attached Images

Last edited by timwatt; 2010-02-17 at 04:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
^ Agreed, I think both the usb cable and 3.5mm socket should be on the bottom to avoid that kind of problem.

well if you think like this way : holding the phone in portrait mode making the headphone jack at the bottom ... but when you put it in your pocket it's more natural to have the headphone jack up right. So if you receive a call you take your phone out and hold it up to your ear it's perfectly natural in a way. Maybe the way i pull my phone in and out is different but it works for me i have no complaints about it

i do agree that the usb needs to be on the other side though

It would effect me the same on both sides. Worst thing for me is wanting to listen to music while surfing or using the phone in landscape mode I cant hold it very well with the headphone jack there.

But if it was moved to one of the long sides then of course it would be harder to listen while in a vertical position in a pocket (though I think this is not too hard to deal with, just need an angled headphone connector with a low profile or use bluetooth)

Tags
head for the hills!, the o in omg