Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
Hi All,

I own a Sony Xperia X (F5122). It is still in the warranty period, however, I have had the screen replaced about 3 months ago.
It is currently being very temperamental. The following occurs almost every use: I unlock the phone, begin doing something, and within 5 seconds or rarely up to a minute, the screen either becomes totally frozen, or it tears, with the lower 3/4 frozen and only the very top updating. Locking the screen, and then unlocking it allows the above process to be repeated.

The OS doesn't seem to freeze though. That is, if I am typing something, I can continue typing (haptic feed back continues, but the screen stays static), and following locking the screen and unlocking it, the text will be updated.

This all started occurring around a week ago, after using a humidifier in our room overnight for the first time. I had not installed any new software, and the OS hasn't been updated since the last EA release.

I need some advice on what to do. I feel it is a hardware issue. Potentially moisture damage from the humidifier/vaporiser. However I don't really know.

Should I attempt to reflash Sailfish X or Android?
Should I return it to the repairer that recently replaced the screen and glass?
Should I return it to the place of purchase (www.t-dimension.com)?

Any tips or ideas would be great - has this happened to anyone else before?
Thanks very much in advance,
Justin.

Last edited by juz; 2018-05-28 at 12:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
I would flash Android back on it and if the same problem occurs, send it back for.repair. my two cents

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
First flash Android and be sure the problem is still present. Second, go to who changed the screen (I hope it is a genuine screen, otherwise it may void the warranty).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestions, they sound sensible.
Is there an easy to follow guide that is recommended somewhere on the web?

Install Sony's Emma flash tool to return to stock firmware if you have Windows machine available, although please read this resource as earlier versions no longer valid from today:https://software.sonymobile.com/www/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Aspergerguy,
I have spent the last hour checking this out, and it appears that is the easiest way. I only have ubuntu on a laptop though, so not so easy. I could try and make a virtual machine? Any ideas if Emma will run and flash from within virtual box?
Thanks again,
Justin,

Originally Posted by juz View Post
Aspergerguy,
I have spent the last hour checking this out, and it appears that is the easiest way. I only have ubuntu on a laptop though, so not so easy. I could try and make a virtual machine? Any ideas if Emma will run and flash from within virtual box?
Thanks again,
Justin,
I haven't tried it, but there seems to be some success with Emma from VirtualBox over here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...post-id-171202

Good Luck!
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Thanks,
Have put it into the too late basket for now. Might end up just taking it back to the repair shop that did the screen. 2 hours spent so far, and just downloading an image now, that may or may not be right. Ahhh!
Thanks all for the advice,

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by juz View Post
I only have ubuntu on a laptop though, so not so easy.
Another alternative would be to use flashtool which works on Linux too (NOTE: requires access to raw USB port. So either udev rule or run as root if you're lazy).

Guide such as this one suggest http://xperiafirmware.com/ as a source of ROMs.XperiFirm would be another tool (might require a few extra step to repack the .ZIP file into a .FTF flashable file)

That's the tools I used back when Sailfish X came out to do all my flashing and TA backups (this howto even covers the "generate .FTF from XperiFirm" part).

Bonus point: if you happen to have saved your TA partition before unlocking the phone you would even be able to flash your backup and relock it as in from factory state (including the DRM and special Sony camera firmware bits).

But AFAIK, nobody on the forums has ever complained of warranty repairs *on the screen* being refused in case of missing TA partition.

Also, if I remember the latest European legislation evolution, the warranty of the device should cover screen repair, even if the currently fitted-in screen happens to be 3rd party, but I'm not 100% sure.
(More or less the same kind of question raised by the "right to repair" legislations in the US).
So maybe Sony Europe should be able to repair your screen if its still within the 2-years of legal european warranty.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Thanks DrYak,
That advice makes it seem achievable. No time to try for a few days, but it will be very helpful, so thanks very much.

A more general question:
Considering that all was working well on sailfish X and no system changes were made, is flashing android just a way of satisfying the repairer that the problem is indeed a hardware fault? Or is there a genuine chance it could be a sailfish problem, in which case, should I just reflash Sailfish X as I have the instructions and images ready to go?

Thanks again everyone,
Justin.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:

Tags
display, sailfish x, screen, warranty, xperia x