Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I'll never bow down to any manufacturer that wants to lock me into their "ecosystem" or whatever they want to call it as long as there is an alternative that lets me do what I want without voiding the warranty or becoming a criminal (seriously look what happened to the poor guy putting linux on his ps3).
Just to point out, the guy wasn't trying to put linux on his PS3 that was already possible even after its removal.

I think people are to blame for where the industry is going. It's them that vote with their wallets, become tribal and pledge allegiance to a brand, but in all fairness they don't have a choice; For example what alternative gaming machine do you play? certainly hope it's not xbox. PC perhaps? windows I bet because you have to jump through hoops to get your game on in linux. You are left without a choice and you choose the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-06-23 at 07:01.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Thank you mrojas for this epic rant I agree completely. This being "the last meego phone" fron Nok is all the more reason to buy it IMO.

This is the tl;dr version:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
That is why I'm getting a N9, perhaps the last encarnation of what freedom of uses in mobile should be.
Perfect! (Ok aside from the typo)
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Thank you mrojas for this epic rant I agree completely. This being "the last meego phone" fron Nok is all the more reason to buy it IMO.

This is the tl;dr version:

Perfect! (Ok aside from the typo)
I agree with mrojas and thanked him for the epic rant but I doubt this will be the last Meego phone so I'm going to wait it out until there is one that fits my needs better, rather than just buy it to make a statement.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I will get the N9. Heck, I will get one for all my family members and encourage my friends to get one as well. Just to annoy that Microsoft-face of Elop.

Well all the profits will go to Elop's strategy and salary, but let's not think about that.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:
I completely agree with the OP. And I also enjoyed daperl's comment:

I'm with you mrojas, I'm going down with Nokia's burning FOSS-friendly GNU/Linux platform. Lord knows there will be plenty of overpriced, locked-down, locked-in pieces of sh*t waiting for me when the dream is over.
Indeed, I thought exactly the same things as you guys when I bough the N900 despite missing support (by the time I bought it pr1.3 was out and so was nokia) potential broken usb port and the other shortcomings.

The good news is that now, a few years later you can say exactly the same thing again.

I'm sorry to inform those of you that agree with us that we will never be in the same pot as the general public. And that is a good thing considering the general level of ignorance (not to say stupidity). Unfortunately that also means that companies will never actively target us.

So be sure to support those that do.

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
lol

you buy n9 - more money for elopes wp strategy - elope wins
you dont buy n9 -meego crashes - elope wins

elope is full of win and laughs whichever way

the board is in his pocket lol - forget fantasies of him being replaced

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
even better reason to get it now, but I really want a keyboard!!!!

http://www.gsmarena.com/alien_dalvik...-news-2813.php

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salawat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
even better reason to get it now, but I really want a keyboard!!!!

http://www.gsmarena.com/alien_dalvik...-news-2813.php
Take that with a huge pinch of salt. When the N900 was being released I saw VMWare showing android running at the same time, Adobe showing the latest Flash, you name it, everybody was showing their new stuff on the N900. Who actually released anything on the N900? none as far as I know.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Take that with a huge pinch of salt. When the N900 was being released I saw VMWare showing android running at the same time, Adobe showing the latest Flash, you name it, everybody was showing their new stuff on the N900. Who actually released anything on the N900? none as far as I know.
Quoted for truth

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
I can't help but be ambivalent about the N9.

Yes, I desperately want Meego to become a success, due to the same reasons stated by the OP (more freedom of choice and use in mobile phones).

Yet I can't shake the feeling of a disappointing buy in the N9. Yes it's sleek, and yes it seems to have a nice UI. But it still shows all the signs of a dumbed-down phone. Non-removable battery, no microSD, no proper video-out (not even to mention HDMI)... The N9 is a step backwards in functionality. Apparently Harmattan isn't full-blooded Meego either, but a hybrid of different APIs. Does that limit us doing whatever we want to the OS? Could we completely replace the UI?

Right now there is still too much uncertainty to decide much of anything, but for the time being I can't see a reason to ditch my trusty N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory