Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Nokia has experienced some delays in making devices available to the 500 developers and bloggers (and other contributors? did anyone receive a discount for contributing documentation?) who qualified for the maemo device program discounts. (See this thread in the ITT forums, for instance.)

This morning, the next-to-last* on the list -- contributors buying from the U.S. stocks -- were notified that they could now apply their discount code to purchase a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet.

Alas, the usual glitches are still preventing this -- developers report Friday morning that inserting a discount code results in either an "invalid code" or "zero balance" response and operators at Let'sTalk.com who hanclle phone orders decline any knowledge of the discount.

I'm posting this info now in hopes that someone at Nokia might see this and straighten things out.

Anyone in the U.S. who succeeds in purchasing an N810 with the device discount, please let us know by commenting on this post, especially if you needed to do something counter-intuitive to get the code accepted. Thanks!

Added later: Finally straightened out! See post 23 below!

And even later: First ones through may have been treated well but late callers have heard that the N810 is "back-ordered" with a three-week delay in shipping.

* Corrected by a Canadian last-on-the-lister!
Read the full article.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
US isn't last on the list. Canadians are (unless I missed something). We got told "more information coming next week" on the e-mail that ignored the US entirely... but haven't gotten anything at all since.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
US isn't last on the list. Canadians are.
Well... come on Jay. Canadians.

(sorry, couldn't resist. My dad was Canadian)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
ahahahahahahhaah

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

When I applied I specifically indicated I wouldn't be doing any development, I got the code and have been waiting like everyone else since Nov. See my post about my initial intentions in the project.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Yes, Nokia recognizes that there are ways to contribute other than through software development, and so the discount program was named "N810 Maemo device program" this time around, instead of "developer device discount program."

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Well, nevermind. It's now out of stock and the codes still don't work. ETA Jan. 19!

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
US isn't last on the list. Canadians are (unless I missed something). We got told "more information coming next week" on the e-mail that ignored the US entirely... but haven't gotten anything at all since.
I don't even see a spot on the Canadian Nokia site where you can put *any* discount code ... nevermind have it accept it as valid.

I am seriously jonesing for an N810.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Last mail, on the maemo-developers mailing list, from Quim states:

Originally Posted by quim
US has the interface to handle the maemo codes almost completed. It was
apparently ready but there was an issue during the testing yesterday.
The fix should be simple but I still haven't got a date due to the
different timezones. Contributors having selected the US shop will
receive an update and instruction as soon as the service is available.

Canada should be ready to handle the maemo program requests by the end
of this week.