Active Topics

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
why am I only offered mirage, maemo mapper, some theme and a couple other applications to choose from?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mrp View Post
why am I only offered mirage, maemo mapper, some theme and a couple other applications to choose from?
For now we're focusing on getting Mer itself stable, than fixing problems with Extras apps - also, we collided with python stuff in extras :/

If you sudo apt-get install in x-terminal, 90-95% of Ubuntu repositories (except GNOME desktop) is available to you

In application manager you see only stuff directly intended for Hildon (user/ section)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
i guess no one has use xchat in mer to realise that it work until u get to the join channel part which puts it dead in its tracks.
Happens in Maemo too. Use the autojoin feature, or just simply type /join #channel.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Before I go having too much fun with Mer now that I have it installed on a nicely donated N810, is there anything in terms of feedback that isn't being looked for?

EDIT: thine should have been clear in saying that screen rotation ain't perfect

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-04-23 at 19:17.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
For now we're focusing on getting Mer itself stable, than fixing problems with Extras apps
ok, I jumped the gun, but that is because Mer already is beginning to be useable, thank you. Next release- is it upgradeable without need for untarring?

You can do an "apt-get upgrade", it just breaks one hildon layout package which you can fix by deleting .osso/hildon-desktop folder in your home dir. I did it on my 770.

About applications: e.g. I tried pokerth today which is a qt poker client/server. It installed and ran ok, but you need bigger screen and can't make text input. So I installed synergy, and using another computer's keyboard and mouse on the IT (this way you can put text into Midori, etc). There're a lot of packages in the repos, you can give them a shot. Maybe a thread for not working/problematic apps would be a good idea.

Last edited by kaito; 2009-04-23 at 22:00.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/About

"Mer is a new Linux operating system, built upon a thin base of Ubuntu Jaunty combined with the best open-source elements of Nokia's Maemo platform."

Because Mer is based on Ubuntu, that repo is always enabled. (Not depending on your hardware)
Thanks. I need to look at the ubuntu package list to see what i want. There sure to be some good apps.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
What do you guys think of the write permission error that I mentioned before? Its possible that has something to do with the panel issue of not being able to move apps to different folders due user not having write permissions. That its the same reason why we are unable to save files created or edited in maemopad, etc. Remember when we install apps from terminal, its always as root, so that's never a problem there.

So what I am saying here, is that in Mer hildon desktop, the user has only read permission for well, everything. Or somebody tell me that I am wrong and that it is something else. Thanks.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
So what I am saying here, is that in Mer hildon desktop, the user has only read permission for well, everything. Or somebody tell me that I am wrong and that it is something else. Thanks.
You are wrong. I am able to save notes with maemopad, and do whatever i want in my own home directory. Ideally, you (as a normal user) have permission to write in your own home directory and that's where all the hildon-destop conf files are located in (~/.osso/*)

Anyway, i just tested fbdev, and surprisingly, it is not any slower than omapfb driver. Both get 6fps with fullscreened GLXGears. The biggestsurprise was, that with fbdev is actually possible to play youtube quality videos without big problems. With omapfb driver, video playback usually results a blue box or completely frozen device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSJ82NywcJE

I was playing one song at the beginning until i remembered my camera doesn't have a microphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:

Tags
firmware, linux distribution, mer, mer release