Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks!
I was not aware of the project. Cutespot is nice but an official application is welcome too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, Purism has raised nearly $1.8 million. With 6 days to go they will probably end up just shy of $2 million which is good and exceeds the original goal by approximately 20%. Just looking at the funding page it seems like Purism has to produce about 2500 Librum 5 phones by about or around Jan 2019. Do you think this is doable? How does the probability of Purism's successful delivery of the Librum 5 compare to the Jolla Tablet. Sadly, Jolla just fell short of being able to deliver tablet (except to a few folks).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Of those all in the list, the only thing I need is spotify, and guess what; cutespot works just perfect
cutespot is far from perfect also spotify has removed the binaries needed by cutespot. Not even sure the old so files provided will work on iMX6.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I hajack your quiestion since I think it is interesting question...

I desperately need below apps if I want to replace my current phone with librem. The list shows that I can't fully replace. For me librem will be used as prof & concept and playing. Replacing main usage I doubt cause of.

I still don't understand why all these companies like Deutsche Bahn (here in Germany) don't invest in complete (content and functional) web pages at first place. A decent browser with HTML5 support would be needed and that's it. It doesn't have to be perfect but it would not exclude people from using "essential" services. An additional app is still fine but couldn't it be step #2...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to einmaleins For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
. A decent browser with HTML5 support would be needed and that's it
And that’s the first point most of the alternative mobile OS have been failing so far - even the browser in FFOS had been worse than FF for Android ...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
For what it's worth, Purism's communication is quite poor. I'm still waiting for a response from this post from 9 days ago. It's a shame really as I was thinking of at least risking my funds on the dev kit for now. The Librem 5 would be a great target for my DebiaN900 successor (despite my criticisms), but if they don't respond within the next few days before the campaign ends, I'll have to give it a miss.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
For what it's worth, Purism's communication is quite poor. I'm still waiting for a response from this post from 9 days ago. It's a shame really as I was thinking of at least risking my funds on the dev kit for now. The Librem 5 would be a great target for my DebiaN900 successor (despite my criticisms), but if they don't respond within the next few days before the campaign ends, I'll have to give it a miss.
Did you follow the forum rules?

What about other ways of communication:
Did you tried send them a concise email with your askings?

Your questions are very important.
A piece of advise. Don't show yourself skeptical, when asking. People wants enthusiast people, not to try to convince skeptcial ones.
Even you could want to work with them, so be appealing to them. Just my humble opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
Did you follow the forum rules?
I believe so. Which part do you think I did not follow?

What about other ways of communication:
Did you tried send them a concise email with your askings?
No I didn't. I considered it but I decided that it would be more appropriate to post my questions publicly which would allow others to participate and voice their opinions. It would be rather spammy to send the same questions again in an email.

Your questions are very important.
A piece of advise. Don't show yourself skeptical, when asking. People wants enthusiast people, not to try to convince skeptcial ones.
Even you could want to work with them, so be appealing to them. Just my humble opinion.
The whole point of my post is that I am rather sceptical and I want to give them the opportunity to alleviate my scepticism.

Having said that, I thought I was enthusiastic. I didn't mention any of my complaints that I posted here on TMO, I congratulated them on reaching their target, I showed intent to purchase, and I made a suggestion of how they might be able to make their crowd funding campaign accessible to more people.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-10-18 at 19:50.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I believe so. Which part do you think I did not follow?
I don't know. Just asked. But put only your questions without explanations maybe. It is what you want they answer didn't you?

The whole point of my post is that I am rather sceptical and I want to give them the opportunity to alleviate my scepticism.
Why you expect they alleviate you? Surely your skepticism is inherited from other crowdfunding and bad past experiencies. Not from Purism. They had been successful on what they had done until now.

Having said that, I thought I was enthusiastic. I didn't mention any of my complaints that I posted here on TMO
Excellent!. Complain is the far from being a way to get people closer.

I congratulated them on reaching their target, I showed intent to purchase,
Great!

and I made a suggestion of how they might be able to make their crowd funding campaign accessible to more people.
Your proposal was good, but after reading their philosophy and why's I understand the priority of Purism is not the $$. I mean, they don't put cheaper products as a priority. Their Vision is foremost the user's right to free software privacy, and security. The cost is not in first place. So, the money that backers pay is for User's right to Free Software Privacy, even at hardware level whenever it is possible.

Sorry, if this it's disturbing to you, I just try to put in the shoes of the admin who prefers answer some punctual questions, and not try to spend time to convince someone who even has not made an investment yet, and perhaps never do because is skeptical. Do you get what I am trying to say?.

Not offense at all intended.

---- and they got $1,803,834 and 5 days to go ---

Last edited by maegon9y00; 2017-10-18 at 21:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Now that the campaign was successful and now soon over; I hope that they start to communicate their trials and triumphs.

Luck to them. I'm watching and cheering from afar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: