Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
I think I found the problem - MyXperia was on.

I'll try again this evening...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
Finally I reached download the official sailfish X

Last edited by karlos devel; 2017-10-18 at 22:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
What are peeps using for voice navigation? I have poor maps and scout server but nothing else

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
What are peeps using for voice navigation? I have poor maps and scout server but nothing else
ModRana should get turn-by-turn navigation support and hopefully also voice directions in the near future as well.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
Sorry to redpill you, but SailfishOS has always been built on systemd and some non-trivial benefits (like a faster boot time when compared to Android) depend on it.

Jolla developers wisely chose Wayland protocol instead of the 30-year-old X11, systemd init manager over initscripts, Qt over Gtk/Gnome, because they were building a modern Linux phone, not a desktop PC, even less a server, even less a *BSD machine. And that happened even if Wayland and systemd were not yet considered - back in 2012/2013 - well-tested and feature-complete.

The systemd hate, FUD and criticism come from luddites' worst nightmares, from ancient bug-reports (especially from misconfigured/mispatched systems), and from the wrong assumption that previous methods (like the boot script files approach) give the same level of performance, safety, manageability, speed. Basically the same kind of argument when back in 1992 Linux kernel was criticized for being monolithic by the author of Minix.

Booting a system is a non-trivial task (dependencies, ordering, parallelization, logging...) and not only systemd takes care of everything in a fast, safe and sound way, it also keeps compatibility with oldschool SysV/LSB scripts and adds in quite a number of security features based on Linux kernel features (for example capabilities restrictions) without the need to patch libraries and services. The latest systemd release adds in IP traffic accounting and dynamic users, two features found in Android, also in the Android layer on your old Jolla1) that Jolla guys may apply to native apps without modifying them.

Disclaimer: I use systemd in my job. Since 2014 it saved me countless hours debugging coworkers issues (did he use a wrong userid? early start? forgot to release permissions? wrong pidfile directory? accidentally wiped /tmp? logged to a different stream? started before the network was ready?...) A number of bizarre and hard-to-catch bugs disappeared overnight as soon as I switched to systemd; we now use systemd in production on all of our servers). I bet Jolla guys just felt the same way.
Well said!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
To be fair, even highly skilled users had difficulties getting Windows 10 to play nicely.
I'd wager he's got some UAC notice lingering in the background, but I'm not in a position to help, as I've not done the process myself.
Just talking about my personnal experience on Win10, didn't met any issue, except shitty sony steps detailed to unlock i totally agree on this part.
IMO, Jolla should have integrate this part on their how-to and just give the user the Sony url to get the unlocking code.
It would have avoid lots of confusion for everyone.

Last edited by clovis86; 2017-10-19 at 07:41. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Another issue (maybe):

When playing sounds in browser or media player (via integrated speakers or headphones) the volume seems to be too high as in 'overamplified'.
For me the lowest volume setting is to loud, and high volume way to high an massively cracking, I guess on the long run it would destroy the speakers.

Is anyone experiencing the same? Resolutions?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
totally agree !
Even the lowest volume settings is too high for me also

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Another issue (maybe):

When playing sounds in browser or media player (via integrated speakers or headphones) the volume seems to be too high as in 'overamplified'.
For me the lowest volume setting is to loud, and high volume way to high an massively cracking, I guess on the long run it would destroy the speakers.

Is anyone experiencing the same? Resolutions?
Yeah I second this.

The Following User Says Thank You to peperjohnny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
I think I found the problem - MyXperia was on.

I'll try again this evening...
It's all about reading

Nice to here that you found the problem. I hope there are nor further hurdles for you, so that you can enjoy your new toy this evening

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x