Notices

Gave it a try. Very nice and simple.

Any possibility for the following:

- ability to resize the note size (so can fit in an increased number of notes on one desktop);

- ability to have multiple pages on each note which you cycle through like in yellow notes applet so that you can have more than one note on the desktop but only take the space of one;

- ability to bold text so that the bolded text can function as a heading for the note;

- ability to change font and text size and color.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Perfection would be the ability to 'scribble' notes

The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJane For This Useful Post:
Nice app. already really useful!

Some feature suggestions:

Some way to handle the app when last note is deleted. it keeps running in the backgound, unreachable it seems. alternatively disable the delete of the last note.

Clicking on a note should raise it above the other overlapping notes.

it would also be nice to be able to move a note without putting the desktop in edit mode.

hide all and raise all functionality. hide all should leave a small button. maybe in the toolbar? like in similar apps on linux and windows.

/Bitwit

The Following User Says Thank You to bitwit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
The files are located here, and thex are saved with Unix line endings.
The same files are good for MADDE, but are messed up by the auto-builder.
Okay, the nasty error is now fixed. The current version in extras-devel should install fine.

For the people who have the screwed up version, you should purge it before installing the new one, or simply reinstall.

For me, the following code from a root terminal worked:
Code:
start sticky-notes
apt-get install sticky-notes
(The start is required because the pre-removal script tires to kill it, and if it can't kill it, it will fail. I know, stupid.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bitwit View Post
Some way to handle the app when last note is deleted. it keeps running in the backgound, unreachable it seems. alternatively disable the delete of the last note.
This is a feature, not a bug, and is pretty much intentional.
The reason:
  • Sticky Notes doesn't run inside hildon-home, thus the only way to make the widgets re-appear on reboot is starting it in the background
  • I want only one process handling all of the notes
  • If you click on either the icon, or "add widget", the background process is called and it displays the new note
  • When running in the background, it really doesn't do anything, just sits there doing nothing. It doesn't use CPU in this state, thus doesn't hurt your battery, either

I hope I could provide a meaningful explanation!
(I also added this one to the FAQ section of the original post.)

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-25 at 09:53.

Nice app indeed.
I'm using Yellow Notes and like his feature to have multiple notes within one window.
Maybe you can add this as an option to Sticky Notes?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davall For This Useful Post:
Okay, I've received some very good suggestions already, keep them coming!

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
ability to resize the note size (so can fit in an increased number of notes on one desktop);
This is already amongst my planned features.

ability to have multiple pages on each note which you cycle through like in yellow notes applet so that you can have more than one note on the desktop but only take the space of one;
Should be pretty straightforward, but I still have to come up with a good UI for it.

ability to bold text so that the bolded text can function as a heading for the note;
Nice idea, but I don't know how should I fit it into the finger-friendly UI. If you have a suggestion, I'm listening!

ability to change font and text size and color.
This is also coming. I'll create a settings dialog for the note and this will be one of the settings available.

Originally Posted by SallyJane View Post
Perfection would be the ability to 'scribble' notes
I thought about it, but I haven't written anything like this. Good idea, though.

Clicking on a note should raise it above the other overlapping notes.
Yes, I wanted to, but it seems that it is either impossible or extremely hacky to achieve.

it would also be nice to be able to move a note without putting the desktop in edit mode.
Nice one! I will definitely implement this in some way. Unfortunately, this is hacky as well, because desktop widgets don't receive dragging events, as those are handled by the desktop.

hide all and raise all functionality. hide all should leave a small button. maybe in the toolbar? like in similar apps on linux and windows.
Hm, and in which menu should that button be?

Originally Posted by davall View Post
Nice app indeed.
I'm using Yellow Notes and like his feature to have multiple notes within one window.
Maybe you can add this as an option to Sticky Notes?
Others suggested this as well, so I think I will!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I was just thinking that I would need to install a note widget again.

Will give this a spin! Looks cool enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
About 'bold'-ing of a text, just have a setting if yo have the first line bold or not. I doubt most people will need more then that.

Would it be possible to have it display one of the conboy notes? Or maybe just have it be possible to point to a file for the note contents. (that way i could point it to the appropriate note file from conboy)

Thanks alot!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbrodie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dbrodie View Post
About 'bold'-ing of a text, just have a setting if yo have the first line bold or not. I doubt most people will need more then that.
I was thinking about adding key combinations or something like that.

Originally Posted by dbrodie View Post
Would it be possible to have it display one of the conboy notes? Or maybe just have it be possible to point to a file for the note contents. (that way i could point it to the appropriate note file from conboy)
Hm, I haven't thought about making the notes point to certain files, but this is a nice idea.
Should every note point to a file or just the ones you want?
Also, should they delete the file when you close the widget?

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-25 at 11:20.

Tags
application, maemo 5, notes, sticky notes, widget