Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Wot, I did not even know such things existed!
I thought all phone cameras only have contrast-based AF...
Is it in any way comparable to the separate phasedetect sensors used in real (SLR) cameras?
Look up dual-pixel technology on canon DSLR. Sony and Fujifilm uses it on their system-camera's too. (See Fuji X-T2 or Sony A7 for example). Pretty neat technique placing phase-detect pixels on the sensor.
If you look at the 5000$ Sony A9 it is comparablr to the most advanced DSLR separate PD-AF systems.

That said, contrast detect have come a long way too. Optimisations and improvements to the algorithm made it significantly faster than it used to be.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Holy moly, I wasn't in this thread for a while...

Well Chen I have to say i'm totally flashed.

When I read the initial post, I thought, wow that's great news. If it gets Sailfish and open boot loader, I will definitely get one.

Now I entered this thread again and had to read, that the device is getting a 5.5" screen.

I have to say I was shocked reading that. But after working me through the whole thread, seeing this very very very nice teaser pics (I expected a real monster not such a sleek and beautiful design ) and reading specs, I 've overcome the shock and you can count me definitely in, with at least one device.

Of course I'll also try to convince my GF having a sleek 5.5" device with a proper keyboard. So maybe I will order two...

One question, is there already a raw production schedule?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Regarding the sleekness; is it not too much of a good thing?
I would not mind a hefty device if it packs a bigger battery...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Regarding the sleekness; is it not too much of a good thing?
Yeah...

A friend got a new laptop from work. Made by one famous fruit company. It is about 0.05 mm thick and looks very sleek. BUT - open it and... a tiny keyboard, almost lost in the middle of a vast empty space. No function keys. The whole thing weighs like a bag of bricks which, combined with its thinness, means that it cuts into your hand when you carry it. He hates it with all his heart.

Sleek but next to unusable

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Yes sirs I am aware of the importance the key depth and battery size.

I know that people interested in this device wouldn't care much about the overall thickness anyway.

And adding thickness can have various benefits, adding battery, protection (maybe a rugged shell) etc. But I want to control it to a level that it doesn't be so bulky and feel stupid.

We already have 3500mAh here and the thickness will be controlled below the N950's

IMHO because if its size, making it thicker than that will feel chunky and like a brick, which is opposite to "Lauta"'s beautiful spirit

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-08-04 at 15:17.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
unless new dead key combinations like ` + c = ç are created
that's the current behaviour on Linux desktop.

Capital Ç is done either :
- with caps lock,
- dead ' then C
- compose then "," then C

(and digraphs are done with compose + individual letters. i.e.: œ is compose, o, e)

About grid vs offset keyboard, I admit having no experience with thumb typing on an offset keyboard but the discussion shows that the final decision will be hard and important.
Regarding grid vs. offset : I might prefere offset slightly out of habbit, but grid would still be okay.

Build quality is what would be critical for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post

Regarding grid vs. offset : I might prefere offset slightly out of habbit, but grid would still be okay.

Build quality is what would be critical for me.
To be honest in my opinion for those "thumb" keyboards it doesn't make a difference for grid or offset, it feels the same. Maybe because I'm not a Latin-based native speaker. I actually prefer grid because it looks nicer and in order.

But my IGG supporters seem to be 100% prefer the offset layout (Maybe from Moto's previous experience?) rather than grid.

I'm wondering does that make a real difference?

Building quality will be controlled as the same industrial standard for other brands in the factory.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
the thickness will be controlled below the N950's
I had to look this up - to save people the effort, the N950 was 14mm thick (according to our wiki).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I think my preference goes for grid keyboard like Chen, but because I believe I'm just more efficient and more comfortable at typing blindly with my thumbs than on an offset keyboard. It just feels more natural for me when thumb-typing. Not sure if it's because of long experience with the N900 or because the design is actually more adapted, but using thumbs on an offset keyboard always felt awkward to me. The unnecessary complicated layout made muscle memory trickier, and tactile-feedback was sometimes insufficient to know where my thumbs were when moving them on the keypad (but again, maybe due to less experience).

Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
that's the current behaviour on Linux desktop.

Capital Ç is done either :
- with caps lock,
- dead ' then C
- compose then "," then C

(and digraphs are done with compose + individual letters. i.e.: œ is compose, o, e)
Ha, I'm using it every day and I did not even know I could type ç with a dead key with the default layout. I am using Alt Gr + , and it gives me ç (or Ç if I press Shift simultaneously). I'm using deadkeys for every other accented characters, and æ is already on Alt Gr + z, and œ on Alt Gr + k (shift works as well for capital letters), but I may have customized those Alt Gr combinations myself, I don't remember. But that's the point: flexibility on key combinations/dead keys just like on desktop could make most users happy.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-04 at 15:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I had to look this up - to save people the effort, the N950 was 14mm thick (according to our wiki).
The current estimation based on structural design is around 12mm thick. And we have some room of change.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen