Active Topics

hi all,

my n900 was functioning flawlessly, until i tried the settings to undercurrent the cpu. i have kernel power v49 and battery patch installed. i never had any problem due to overclocking, so i thought i would try to undercurrent using the kernel-config load lv command.

the instructions should state this could cause some device to reboot. i didnt know, by the time i realised it was already too late.

m n900 kept rebooting many times after i undercurrent the cpu. then i began to get many problems. initially i lost all contacts. then m n900 entered reboot loops. this random reboots happened for 4-5 hours and finally stopped after i set kernel-config load ideal.

however by now, i have a barely functioning n900 with many issues:
- missing images, broken theme
- empty contacts
- cant open dialling pad, call history shows incoming/outgoing/missed icons but neither names nor numbers
- hildon-thumbnails using up almost 100 percent cpu
- unable to access n900 on my pc, only can see the removable storage icons but cant open
- status bar icons gone
- microb works but without flash, and trying to download or save page will cause internal error
- cant fsck from backupmenu or xterm, both rootfs and optfs
- many more

i,m really in a dire situation because this is my main phone, i'm away from home and i need to be always available this week. especially during this time due to getting a new job.

this is just so frustrating. i havent try flashing it yet. it might solve the corrupted fs issue but i cant backup my files before flashing. i've spent a lot of time and money to get things working on this phone, now everything goes to **** due to a stupid tweak.....

is there other ways to copy my files before i flash this bugger?

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
idk where to start you overclocked and didnt read any of the warnings they are front and center in the wiki. You have backup menu but didnt use it to make a backup before f'n around with overclocking?

try to ssh or usb host mode and see what you can pull off the emmc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
does under volting cpu can harm n900 ? i also under volted my n900 and its working fine. it been almost 2 months that i under volted my n900.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please post your error messages here for further debugging. Do not only describe the errors you are getting.

Try to check for file system health of MyDocs:
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
Look for free space on your device:
Code:
df
du -kx / | sort -n | tail -n 20
du -kx /home | sort -n | tail -n 20
mount
free
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l
Did you try to fsck from a Linux-PC or Linux-Live-CD via rw-mode in BackupMenu, not just in BackupMenu itself?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Malaysia
when using this new nitdroid-installer beta at x-terminal, an error came out asking me whether i want to remove previous nitdroid installed. if yes, i have to reboot the device after that. after reboot, my phone screen application name become weird.for example, calender has become cal_ap_name. what has occurred? HELP!!!!!

Originally Posted by universe View Post
when using this new nitdroid-installer beta at x-terminal, an error came out asking me whether i want to remove previous nitdroid installed. if yes, i have to reboot the device after that. after reboot, my phone screen application name become weird.for example, calender has become cal_ap_name. what has occurred? HELP!!!!!
Try to reset the location setting in the settings application.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Please post your error messages here for further debugging. Do not only describe the errors you are getting.

Try to check for file system health of MyDocs:
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
Look for free space on your device:
Code:
df
du -kx / | sort -n | tail -n 20
du -kx /home | sort -n | tail -n 20
mount
free
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l
Did you try to fsck from a Linux-PC or Linux-Live-CD via rw-mode in BackupMenu, not just in BackupMenu itself?

fsck of MyDocs didn't produce any error

No error was produced when looking for free space, there were many lines of output, which one shows the free space?

I didn't fsck from Linux-PC or LiveCD from rw-mode in BackupMenu, how do I do that?
Edit:
I found Vi_'s post in this thread, regarding using Gparted to repair optfs, is this how to do it? I'm a total newb to Linux.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43698&page=3

Btw fsck from just in BackupMenu didnt produce error with regard to mmcblk0p1, but produced this error when trying to fsck mmcblk0p2.

Code:
Errors may have been encountered: code:4 /dev/mmcblk0p2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e., without -a or -p options)
I can access mass storage via rw-mode from Windows, so at least I'm able to copy MyDocs files into my pendrive.

The phone still can't access itself, every sms that I received went into the SIM card. After the SIM card is full I can't receive anymore sms, and Conversations produced error that it can't access my device.

Last edited by alphaz; 2012-01-16 at 01:51.

Here is a walkthrough for those steps
Download Gparted-Live-CD.iso file or any Linux-Live-CD image containing gparted application
Burn Gparted-Live-CD to CD or DVD
Install Backupmenu to your N900
Reboot the N900 with keyboard ejected
In Bootmenu type 'w' to export the partitions in read/write-mode
Boot your PC from the Live-CD
If necessary start gparted
Choose the device (hard disk) in the upper right drop down menu should be some 30GB size.
Right click on the second partition (approx.2GB) and choose 'Check' (Dont worry you will be asked to apply actions later).
Now click apply in the upper toolbar and accept the changes to be applied.
If everything is checked successfully, shut down the PC
On the N900 press 'q' to quit backupmenu and restart Maemo.
And some additional steps to get the same method working in a virtual maschine:
Start VBox, setup the virtual machine, but wait before launching it for the N900.
Shutdown your N900, restart it with keyboard out to have the menu to start BackupMenu.
In BackupMenu hit the 'w' to export the partitions 'read/write'.
In Windows close all the Explorer pop-ups, then configure the USB-rules in VBox. Add the NokiaN900 and every UnknownDevice, if any to your virtual Debian. Start the virtual machine to the desktop.
Now in Windows 'Remove safely' the N900 device through the status bar icon, but do not pull the cable! On your N900 press again 'w' to stop 'read/write'-mode, wait a couple of seconds to again enable 'read/write' with 'w'. Now the virtual machine picks up the USB-devices correctly. Start Gparted on the virtual machine and do what have to be done.
Though it might sound really complex, it may be done in 30 to 40 minutes.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2012-01-16 at 08:02.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Here is a walkthrough for those steps
And some additional steps to get the same method working in a virtual maschine:
Though it might sound really complex, it may be done in 30 to 40 minutes.
I scanned the etx2 partition using Gparted in Vbox.

When I rebooted my phone, the problem still remains, I also can't use Xterm due to "Internal error". Then I booted in BackupMenu and when I tried to fsck all partitions, I received these errors:

Code:
Checking the OptFS...
errors may have been encountered: code : 8
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block
while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2
	press any key to continue
Code:
Checking MyDocs...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block
while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p1
then I reboot and fsck all partitions in BackupMenu again, this time I received these errors

Code:
Checking the OptFS...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2

Code:
Checking MyDocs...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2
In rw-mode, sometimes I can access mass storage in Windows Explorer, sometimes I can't

I briefly took out the battery and rebooted in BackupMenu. This time fsck didn't produce errors about OptFS.

Last edited by alphaz; 2012-01-16 at 13:07.

First parts of your post:
That is bad!
The only explanation i could offer is: The fsck did not repair the damage, so you may have to use a terminal application in some Linux-Live-CD (don't know, but may be Gparted-Live has it as well) to get better manual control of the fsck process with options like -af for automatic repair, or -r for repair everything, even if it is considered to be dangerous.
In rw-mode, sometimes I can access mass storage in Windows Explorer, sometimes I can't
This is MyDocs partition or an external microSD? Or did you tweak some files and export some other location of the N900?
I briefly took out the battery and rebooted in BackupMenu. This time fsck didn't produce errors about OptFS.
Does this mean, everything is back to normal???