Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I never understood the fascination with QT. As a UI framework, it seems quite bad and overly complex. But this is my ignorance speaking as I have little experience with it.
Yeah, looks quite bad and overly complex to me:

Code:
#include <QtGui>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    QApplication app(argc, argv);

QMainWindow mainWindow;
    QLabel label("hello world",&mainWindow);
    mainWindow.show();

return app.exec();
}
Spreading FUD from ignorance isn't a very thoughtful sentiment.

Perhaps someone can explain the fascination to me?
We could spoon feed you, but then we'd have to kill you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Android + Qt = Linux paradise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ1PAdI6AY
Android uses a heavily modifed Linux kernel with seems not to provide patches back to upstream, and an userland software abstraction layer that is not even fully Java-compliant, because it only uses the dialect ("language") but not a compatible VM implementation.

This was obviously done by Google to avoid licensing issues with then current-Java IP holder Sun, which pissed off Sun because they first thought during Google's initial press release that "hey, even Google supports Java, and now even in mobile business!". Where is this deviated mess a "Linux paradise"?

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-05 at 14:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Overly complex? No way. Let me show you something approaching malbolge levels of complexity with this bad boy in Python + Qt4

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
 from PyQt4 import Qt

a = Qt.QApplication(sys.argv)

hello = Qt.QLabel("Hello, World")
 hello.show()

a.exec_()

I have also heard something about custom glibc.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Android uses a heavily modifed Linux kernel with seems not to provide patches back to upstream, and an userland software abstraction layer that is not even fully Java-compliant, because it only uses the dialect ("language") but not a compatible VM implementation.

This was obviously done by Google to avoid licensing issues with then current-Java IP holder Sun, which pissed off Sun because they first thought during Google's initial press release that "hey, even Google supports Java, and now even in mobile business!". Where is this deviated mess a "Linux paradise"?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
I have also heard something about custom glibc.
Righteee:

http://www.androidquestions.org/thre...29-for-Android
http://discuz-android.blogspot.com/2...bc-bionic.html

Andorid uses Bionic which remotely resembles glibc. There are rumours too that they wanted to avoid GPL in userland with that move:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...n-1210421.html
http://www.brownrudnick.com/nr/pdf/a...0The%20GPL.pdf

The more i get to know about Android's architecture, the (mainly US) carriers involvement in it, and the friggin' ecosystem, the more i want to avoid it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
The problem is, we have very limited options, and Android is the most open of the currently available cellphone OSes (Meego and Symbian are kind of dead), and iOS and WP7 are not exactly very open.
The N9 phone is not really an upgrade to the n900. It has a slightly faster CPU, bigger screen and more RAM, but it loses the keyboard, FM transmitter, and notification light. It probably loses even the Flash 9.1.
N9 does have FM transmitter - just needs s/w to use it. I'm sure there is some sort of notification light somewhere on the N9. But yeah the keyboard less N9 does make me wish they had the N950 for sale as well!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
The problem is, we have very limited options, and Android is the most open of the currently available cellphone OSes (Meego and Symbian are kind of dead), and iOS and WP7 are not exactly very open.
The N9 phone is not really an upgrade to the n900. It has a slightly faster CPU, bigger screen and more RAM, but it loses the keyboard, FM transmitter, and notification light. It probably loses even the Flash 9.1.
how can u say its dead!? I mean if your a real open source guru like me u dont care about if companys doesnt give support as long as much as possible is open. I dont care if there only is 2000 good apps instead of 20000 bad apps.

They say there is about 2 percent using linux on desktop. Still it is the best option for me.

I dont get why its so important for people get so called support most time support from companys means security bugfixes for crappy os anyway. with open source os bugs are fixes alot faster without company byrocraty.

true for most people is they use Windows/android or IOS cause they friends says its best without check what could be best for themselfs.

Personally I prefer real linux on my mobile/webserver and at home.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-08-05 at 16:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
how many android phone buyers buy it because it is "open" ?

come on - who gives a flying **** for "openness" except for people who "believe" ?

go outside, feel the sun and talk to normal people sometimes - you know, people who are too busy with real life to argue back and forth on a forum about some abstract philosophical ideal

open or not open - life goes on - M$ OS has been on desktop for years and people use it day in and day out without the world ending

only relevant point is whether lawsuits will further hinder android as a whole

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
From my point of view Android shits over Maemo, Ive had all the Nseries tablets and several Symbain phones, finally got fed up with no good upgrade path from the n900 with nokia and decided on a HTC android phone. I will never look back.

Bring on the flames.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
how many android phone buyers buy it because it is "open" ?

come on - who gives a flying **** for "openness" except for people who "believe" ?
Yeah at first smokers didn't give a **** about cancer. It still killed them.

People don't make decisions based on future adverse consequences and don't even want to know them, it's true. Doesn't mean it's not important.

Ask around who thinks 150 euros is a good deal for windows in a new pc, or how a pain it is to go from iphone to android because of what you invested in itunes/appstore. Yet who cared?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:

Tags
open source, openness