Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I have created this thread because of the posts i have made off topic on other threads to do with the future of this community.

Please note very clearly that i will report every post that is trolling, name calling, flaming and off topic.

For everyone who wants Maemo to survive then an input to this thread could very well get somewhere, we have lost many members who have moved on leaving Maemo.org to fend for itself, i feel survival is a real issue here for Maemo.org.

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Like that time all the good N7/8*0 developers and people moved on?

Times change. We can't force people to stay, if you think this community is in decadence then there is very little people can do about it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post:
If you and other people want (me too) to not see dead Maemo it is needed to keep up to date Extras application and maybe update open source SDK packages (from Debian or Ubuntu).

A lot of Maemo core packages is cloned from Debian (core libraries and core daemons), so the first step is update these packages.

Next step should be keep maintaing open source Hildon libraries (and application) - which is maybe under CSSU

And last to rewrite/replace closed source packages. I created list on wiki, see: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages
Green packages has open source replecement.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I think this thread shoud be merged with this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75174

Originally Posted by pali View Post
I think this thread shoud be merged with this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75174
No i do not agree because this thread is specific and is about Maemo.org not just Maemo.

The thread your reffering to that you started is about Maemo5 and fremantle, totally different.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-04 at 16:56.

someone will keep it up probably, but it would be nice if current administrators, should they plan to close shop, could provide some db dumps of forum, wiki, and bugzilla

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Technical question, sorry if it's too OT: If we are able to swap proprietary packages with OS clones, that's good. But could be probably build our own firmware images too, or are we stuck with flashing Nokia's rootfs / optfs images first, and update packages afterwards? I mean, we already have the custom kernel, so...

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Technical question, sorry if it's too OT: If we are able to swap proprietary packages with OS clones, that's good. But could be probably build our own firmware images too, or are we stuck with flashing Nokia's rootfs / optfs images first, and update packages afterwards? I mean, we already have the custom kernel, so...
Very good post.

This is where the problem is stemming from, ie proprietry software that is an essential part of the Maemo os for the N900.

Nokia up to now have not released any closed parts of the os because of legal reasons, patents etc.

I have always wanted the code released from Nokia and have had many a discussion on here regarding this and no one came up with any solid answers, always pointing to legal problems over this.

So your idea of building our own firmware is great providing the community will allow this to happen, IF it could then just maybe Maemo.org can stand on it's own ground and mean something to Maemo providing of course if the funding can be raised.

Please keep the comments and idea's coming.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Why not just move on? Nothing good will ever come from clinging to the past.

A good starting point is here. Even though it may not be 100% what you want, it is at least 90%, it is MeeGo, it is tablet, and it is open for everybody:
http://wetab.mobi/en/developers/

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Very good post.

This is where the problem is stemming from, ie proprietry software that is an essential part of the Maemo os for the N900.

Nokia up to now have not released any closed parts of the os because of legal reasons, patents etc.

I have always wanted the code released from Nokia and have had many a discussion on here regarding this and no one came up with any solid answers, always pointing to legal problems over this.

So your idea of building our own firmware is great providing the community will allow this to happen, IF it could then just maybe Maemo.org can stand on it's own ground and mean something to Maemo providing of course if the funding can be raised.

Please keep the comments and idea's coming.
black hat here
if you are talking firmware, even open sourced one, you are binding yourself to a specific hardware (N900?).
that's no good.
need to find a way to either
- build a flash from a clean (open) source on the fly
- install Maemo like a normal Linux / GNU distro, directly from source (or an armel DVD / USB / image)
i'm too unfamiliar with mobile devices to see the exact solution, sorry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:

Tags
fuuck you, good intentions, innocent troll