Ive just tried again, and this time I cleared all the personal data from the web browser (menu/tools/clear/all personal data).

1. As step 1 before
2. Select standard quality and real player
3. Press OK
4. Click on launch in stnad alone player.
5. Media Player loads and so does the news!!!

Let me know how you get on.

Nik.

Hi - I had this problem but click on prefrences in top right corner of BBC media player then choose standard quality (below 256k) regardless of your actual connection speed - 256k and above will not work. Then choose stand alone player - not had any problems since doing this.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Lynnwood, WA
My problem is not related to streaming media, but a locally-stored AVI file. When I try to play it using the built-in Media Player, I get the error message saying "Resolution not supported."

It is a common, 704 x 396 AVI format, which I have no trouble playing both on my Linux (FC6) box and my wife's XP box. What gives? Does the fact that it is 500+ MB in size affect this issue?

I tried mplayer, too. There, the audio portion works fine but the video keeps chopping off. Do I need a faster SD card?

Thanks,
Dai

Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Hi - I had this problem but click on prefrences in top right corner of BBC media player then choose standard quality (below 256k) regardless of your actual connection speed - 256k and above will not work. Then choose stand alone player - not had any problems since doing this.
This used to work then all of sudden cant play any video media from BBC-follow usual steps-watch in satndalone player-lower than 256KB if it lest me set the preference. Then it opens up media player-syas now playing and nothing happens-counter stays at 0. If I try watching streaming video e.g. BBC News 24 it opens up with a files name empty and nothing happens.

Have conatcted BBC and they say they do not support all formats-but then it used to work.

JP

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
We seem to have two (at least) threads on the topic of BBC News videos. If nobody minds this duplication of a posting on the other thread, this is what does it for me with Mozilla Browser

Install MPlayer – it didn’t work until I did.
Prior to selecting the video make sure that the Plug-ins Browser Default and Shockwave Flash are disabled
Select Video
Tap Preferences in top RH corner, select Standard Quality and RealPlayer
Tap OK to save
Tap Launch in Stand Alone Player
Comments: The disabling of the Plug-ins and the selection of Quality and Real Player settings may need to be checked each time you come to play a video. It seems to me that they can slip. In fact you may want to re-enable the plug-ins anyway after finishing with the videos.

Thanks Rebski-but no joy-nothing plays even though it says now playing.

JP

Oh no, I am really sorry to hear that, I thought that was going to crack it. The key for me was installing MPlayer so I got excited about sharing the good news. Bummer.

No, worked it out, javascript should be disabled too, picked that up from the other thread you mentioned, bbc news 24 works now, thanks for your help.

JP

Goods news at last.

Javascript is enabled on my Settings and BBC Video works so who knows what is up. At least we have sufficient information and options to get the result and that is the thing.

running OS 2007 latest version, disabling flash and browser plugins and selecting standard quality in News Player then opening in standalone player as described in previous posts works for me also. I was getting a "file format not supported" error before doing this. Sucks you can only get standard qual tho

has anyone found a way of making youtube videos run smoother?