Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
So, I got an E7 in exchange for my USB-broken N900, and exchanged the E7 for a unused N900 (never powered on) at one shop.

The camera flash leds are yellow. No way around that; as we all know, usual camera leds are white, which usually looks bluish-white in normal conditions. These leds are white with a heavy yellow tint.

Do some hardware versions of N900 have yellow leds or something?

The N900 is just like my last one, except that all surfaces and mechanical functions, slider, stylus lock, desk stand, are much "tougher", there's more resistance. Even surfaces feel more gritty. Perhaps my old one had just "broken in" over time, but this feels very different.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
Do some hardware versions of N900 have yellow leds or something?

The N900 is just like my last one, except that all surfaces and mechanical functions, slider, stylus lock, desk stand, are much "tougher", there's more resistance. Even surfaces feel more gritty. Perhaps my old one had just "broken in" over time, but this feels very different.
Got a replacement sent (eventually) from the Nokia Care Centre after my USB broke, I can't say I have noticed the LEDs being more/less yellow, they seem the same white colour as the last one, but I agree about the gritty surfaces - including the keyboard.

Also the surfaces/mechincal fucntions feel "stronger" and the keys tougher, probably just because its new and the old one was "worn in"

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I can confirm that comparing my 09 N900 and a new one side by side, the new is tougher and how to say it, less glossy, it's normal wear. I don't konw about the led's though.

Hmm. I showed the leds to some work buddies who also have N900s, and they immediately asked "why are the flash leds yellow?", so it's really noticeable.

I have a DSLR so the colour of the flash potentially messing up phone camera photos (perhaps white balance settings could alleviate to some extent) doesn't bother me at all, but I use it as a flash light so this will take some getting used to...

It seems this is a rev2204 N900. No idea if that has to do with the leds.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-07-26 at 14:52.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hi,

I answered your PM saying that my LEDs were red , but now looking at this thread I realize you mean the color of the actual LEDs (not the light, but the device itself).

My rev2204 N900 has white-yellowish LEDs. I wouldn't call it white, but also not a clear yellow. More like crappy recycled paper, if you see what I mean..

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Hi,

I answered your PM saying that my LEDs were red , but now looking at this thread I realize you mean the color of the actual LEDs (not the light, but the device itself).

My rev2204 N900 has white-yellowish LEDs. I wouldn't call it white, but also not a clear yellow. More like crappy recycled paper, if you see what I mean..
And I answered yours ;D

I mean the color of the light emitted by the two clear LEDs above the camera lens. To me the LEDs themselves look like ordinary clear plastic, but the light is indeed like you describe; like crappy recycled paper. Usually actual daylight-white looks bluish in dark, and that's how the LEDs on the old N900 were :/

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
care to take a picture and show us?^^

Originally Posted by msa View Post
care to take a picture and show us?^^
I'm afraid that'd be pointless. I tried the camera and it seems the automatic white balance copes well with the yellow-tinted flash; pictures are okay, maybe a bit on the cold side even.

I considered taking a photo of the LEDs themselves with my DSLR, but realised that the slight yellow tone would not survive through the WB setting on the DSLR + the colour settings of my displays + the colour settings on the displays of you guys.

Oh well:

When WB is set to compensate ordinary bulbs, the flash is way colder. However, when it is set to compensate a camera flash, the LEDs are quite obviously yellowish, meaning (as far as I understand) that their colour temperature is not cold enough, so under WB:Flash settings it overshoots over white to yellow. I'll see if I come across a normal-flash N900 at some point for comparison.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-07-26 at 17:14.