Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yeah, I've accidently closed my apps quite a few times now since the PR1.1 change.
It's the worst when you use it lying in bed and the "physical top" doesn't really exist or is just wrong.
(I guess I'll just avoid trying to close apps in such situations..)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-11-15 at 08:37.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I kept closing apps by mistake until I understood how it works in pr1.1. I tihnk it's actually better now since you can actually find out which way it is. In pr1.0 there were some games that looked like landscape and were actually portrait etc. Now it's pretty clear.

Something that you have neglected to say or not noticed perhaps is that in pr1.1 if the phone is flat on the table, then it uses the method from PR1.0, eg. You swipe from the applications top instead of the phone's top. Now that I know these "rules" I make fewer mistakes than in pr1.0.

@jakiman I agree that the in bed problem is the biggest, so I tend to swipe from the bottom when unsure. I very rarely hold the phone upside down. Even when in bed.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Something that you have neglected to say or not noticed perhaps is that in pr1.1 if the phone is flat on the table, then it uses the method from PR1.0, eg. You swipe from the applications top instead of the phone's top. Now that I know these "rules" I make fewer mistakes than in pr1.0.

@jakiman I agree that the in bed problem is the biggest, so I tend to swipe from the bottom when unsure. I very rarely hold the phone upside down. Even when in bed.
Now that is very interesting. I guess I didn't test it enough. But you are correct. When laid flat, it ignores the physical orientation (more like it's aware that it's laid flat) and goes by the app orientation. Now I feel like a fool for not noticing this earlier.

I guess I need to change my habbits. I have also been swiping from bottom-up to ensure it doesn't close the app by accident when I'm lying down on the side and using the phone. (I tend to always swipe from right-to-left which is causing me problems. Guess I need to change my ways in this situation. =P)

Anyways, thanks for this. No one mentioned it so I just assumed also..... But now I know, I'm much happier. =)

I don't really see why the orientation of the phone should have anything to do with the swipe actions, by far the most consistent solution would be to have swiping from the Nokia logo side always close the app. I'd also have closing from the opposite side as well by default, but might be just me. This would also be consistent with the other homescreens that are unaffected by the phone's orientation.

Finally, thanks to javispedro, I can now lock my orientation sensor to portrait orientation. Now this has made my life a lot easier and better. Regardless of the app or the phone's orientation, swiping from the Nokia logo down will close the app.

Also, I really wanted this for the same reasons that he did. I use the phone in bed at night/morning often and I hated apps turning to landscape when I didn't want it to.

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4908

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Finally, thanks to javispedro, I can now lock my orientation sensor to portrait orientation. Now this has made my life a lot easier and better. Regardless of the app or the phone's orientation, swiping from the Nokia logo down will close the app.

Also, I really wanted this for the same reasons that he did. I use the phone in bed at night/morning often and I hated apps turning to landscape when I didn't want it to.

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4908
He should make a simple app for it I don't have developer mode on.. i usually only use phone in portrait, but quick switch is needed for GPS and gallery, so that would be better.

Even better: Nokia should implement it in PR1.2 in status bar