Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
finaly hapened to me and since it is out of warranty i gues i can't count on nokia tofix things (

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
finaly hapened to me and since it is out of warranty i gues i can't count on nokia tofix things (
and me being an as*hole again and saying "you never thought to have it soldered down???"

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
and me being an as*hole again and saying "you never thought to have it soldered down???"
Bigger as*hole here... Nokia should have manufactured it properly first. Now, either offer to fix it for him or shut the heck up.

Nokia's at fault. Not the purchaser and some self-righteous cretin that thinks it is "cool" to remind folks that Nokia faulty design and manufacturing process can be blamed on the consumer needs to learn how to practice reticence.

Attitudes like this sully this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
Mines just gone but fortunately I am just inside the warranty period, I am probably expecting too much but I wouldn't mind a WP 800 to replace it as i don't want to go back to a Symbian phone again if i am offered one.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Bigger as*hole here... Nokia should have manufactured it properly first. Now, either offer to fix it for him or shut the heck up.

Nokia's at fault. Not the purchaser and some self-righteous cretin that thinks it is "cool" to remind folks that Nokia faulty design and manufacturing process can be blamed on the consumer needs to learn how to practice reticence.

Attitudes like this sully this forum.
I wouldn't mind fixing it for my fellow users here, but since we know and have know for years that this is a weakness then we our self can make a difference by making a VERY simple fix.

And i don't think it is cool to remind folks about it, i would rather that all just got it fixed, or yes if nokia could have foreseen that this could be an issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
I wouldn't mind fixing it for my fellow users here, but since we know and have know for years
Look at the earlier part of this thread. There's no "known for years" - most people here were saying that it wasn't a problem, hadn't happened to them, nor that it was Nokia's fault. Or that you should shave down the barbs on the microUSB to swapping out batteries and using a desktop charger to folks saying that "you should solder it down".

All of that last part is rather recent. The denial was just a year ago in most cases. Regardless, no need to be a jackhole about it.

that this is a weakness then we our self can make a difference by making a VERY simple fix.
Then fix it for them.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Look at the earlier part of this thread. There's no "known for years" - most people here were saying that it wasn't a problem, hadn't happened to them, nor that it was Nokia's fault. Or that you should shave down the barbs on the microUSB to swapping out batteries and using a desktop charger to folks saying that "you should solder it down".

All of that last part is rather recent. The denial was just a year ago in most cases. Regardless, no need to be a jackhole about it.

Then fix it for them.
The person who you called a self-righteous cretin is a hero on this site, and your description boomerangs onto you. That's the closest I will ever come to using such a descriptive label.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thanks for stepping in geneven

What is you problem gerbick all i am trying to do is getting N900 users attention to get this fixed, why are you being a d*ck about that????
But of course i can come off kinda frustrated because i still see users post that their USB just broke, and i have been trying to get users to see what has to be done to prevent this, and abill_uk and others before me.
Some have had it done in the last months, have helped some over PM and various IM

I'm absolutely with dr_frost_dk on this one. Criticizing him (to say at least) for suggesting relatively simple fix, is like mocking up someone, for suggesting installation of CSSU or kernel-power, to fix common WONTFIX bugs introduced by Nokia (that are fixed in CSSU or KP).

Not much use for "It's Nokia fault" posts here - we know it already, and suggesting it for people with (still) valid warranty.

Also, I can't agree that soldering down USB port is new solution. Not to mention, that there are at least 2 threads dedicated to it, with up-to-date, well maintained first posts (one started by dr_frost_dk, who "invented" soldering it down - in parallel and independently to other user which name I can't recall, but only dr_frost_dk posted first detailed guide, other one was one-liner post somewhere in forum).

To be honest, overall tone *and* form of Your post, gerbick, was totally out of line here.

Anyway, I think, that we can end this off-topic here, yep?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Apparently Nokia has an ample supply on N900 devices for in-warranty replacement. I had 4 (that's right - Four) N900's since I bough my first one this April 2011. Just, FYI.

P.S. Nokia happily replaced my N900 when USB broke and even toyed with the idea of giving me a different phone since I have "so much trouble" with my N900. However I couldn't come up with any other Nokia that I would like in lieu of my love/hate N900 experience. (N9 in not an option since it is not offered by Nokia on the USA market.)

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty