Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Finland
I have two problems with this device now, loose USB port and slow charging/no charging at all.

First the USB port. It works (starts charging and it can connect to PC), but the charger itself feels loose. It only recognizes the USB if i hold the connector in one position.

And next, the charging. I have left it charging overnight, i find out in the morning it has shut down. I used lshal -m to see what is happening, and at some point there is an error and it just stops charging. I nudge the cable a bit and it starts charging again.

Can anyone help what to do with this? Is the loose USB port reason for bad charging? Should i take it to repair? Or fix it myself? Sorry for possibly confusing post.

EDIT: When the device stops charging, lshal -m shows this:
Code:
bme property battery.rechargeable.is_discharging = true
bme property battery.rechargeable.is_charging = false
bme property battery.remaining.time = 0
bme property maemo.rechargeable.charging_status = 'error'
bme property maemo.rechargeable.positive_rate = false

Last edited by zSpike; 2013-02-13 at 12:33.

You are at the beginning of the usb port breaking.

Do you have experience with "welding" it.

Dont't know about welding, but there is somewhere a manual in this forum on how to glue it before it breaks. There are three N900 in our household two with broken usb. we use them with seperate chargers you'll find them on ebay for less than 2€. What i did with my device is, i used sugru (a kind of trademarked silicon that you can use like modelling clay) to fasten the usb before it could start breaking off. There is actually a lot of space around the port. i filled it all up with this silicon. Seems to work for more than a year now.
Soldering is very hard to do i belive, though i am not an expert at all, because it is hidden under a part of the camera i belive.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
I started having issues with my USB port yesterday (where the connection was loose and I wasn't always able to charge). I was able to get the port soldered down again to the point where I can always charge when attached to my laptop, but I cannot charge with my N900's stock charger or my N9's charger.

What might be causing this issue, and how can I fix it?

I suppose data doesn't work? if so, it is not detecting crossed data lines, so not starting dedicated charging. If you don't plan to fix data, you can solder data ports together, or, even better, use kp52 (or higher, in future), and use bq2415x_charger module, in forced "dedicated" mode. You can do it manually, or via bme replacement bits.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-04-14 at 22:15.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
suppose data doesn't work? if so, it is not detecting crossed data lines, so not starting dedicated charging. If you don't plan to fix data, you can solder data ports together, or, even better, use kp52 (or higher, in future), and use bq2415x_charger module, in forced "dedicated" mode. You can do it manually, or via bme replacement bits.

/Estel
The weird thing is that data works. How can I get kp52 and bq2415x_charger with the cssu thumb kernel?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
soldering it properly will solve the issue

I was able to get kernel power 52 up on my device (apparently it has the changes required for CSSU thumb in it), and it works just fine.

I've tested charging with bq2415x_charger, but haven't got it charging with the chargers it wasn't working with before. I'm not sure how to get it in dedicated mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndrewX192 View Post
The weird thing is that data works. How can I get kp52 and bq2415x_charger with the cssu thumb kernel?
As You've noticed yourself, kernel-power (from version 51r1, IIRC, and above) have thumb-patches included. you don't need cssu-kernel, if you use kernel-power. Now, if you ask me, that whole cssu-0kernel thing is a mess - they should just use kernel-power instead, but it's topic for a long discussion, not necessary on-topic here. the point is, if you use KP, you can forget cssu-kernel existence.

Originally Posted by AndrewX192 View Post
I've tested charging with bq2415x_charger, but haven't got it charging with the chargers it wasn't working with before. I'm not sure how to get it in dedicated mode.
Code:
echo dedicated > /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150a-0/mode
...of course, supposing that you have bq2415x_charger module loaded, already. If not, you will get error about that path not existing - try loading module via
Code:
modprobe bq2415x_charger
...and echo command, again.
---

so, you repaired your port to state of having *both* charging and data working, but charging works only from established data connection (like connected to notebook)? Very strange. Forcing dedicated mode should work, so try it first, but it would be nice to investigate it more, afterwards. Like, posting tail of dmesg, invoked after connecting charger to device.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Code:
echo dedicated > /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150a-0/mode
...of course, supposing that you have bq2415x_charger module loaded, already. If not, you will get error about that path not existing - try loading module via
Code:
modprobe bq2415x_charger
...and echo command, again.
---
Do I need to stop bme as well?

so, you repaired your port to state of having *both* charging and data working, but charging works only from established data connection (like connected to notebook)? Very strange. Forcing dedicated mode should work, so try it first, but it would be nice to investigate it more, afterwards. Like, posting tail of dmesg, invoked after connecting charger to device.

/Estel
Yes, it would appear that way. Here's the results of my findings so far:

I have four chargers I'm testing (the first three came with specific devices, and will be referred to
as such):
Nokia N900
HP TouchPad
Nokia N9
PowerGen 8400mA external charger

When I plug my N900 in to the N900 charger when the device is off, the device notices and turns on.

When the N900 turned on and is plugged into the N900 charger, the device does not charge.

When the N900 is plugged into the HP TouchPad charger using the cable that came with the N900, the device charges as expected.

When the N900 is plugged into my laptop using the N900 cable, the device charges. The N900 also prompts for mass storage mode and the laptop shows a N900 being connected in dmesg. The connection remains stable despite moving the cable around.

When the N900 is on and plugged into the N9 charger, the device does not charge.

When the N900 is on and plugged into the PowerGen charger, the device does not charge.

When I use USB host mode, the N900 does not provide power to the connected device.

Here's a sample from dmesg with dedicated mode enabled
# plugging in the power source
[ 238.897979] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x54/84; link 3
# unplugging the power source
[ 246.778930] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x50/80; link 1

When it does charge (off the HP TouchPad charger), it looks something like this:

[ 532.317291] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x50/80; link 1
[ 533.591186] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0xd0/208; link 2
[ 533.591217] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 2)
[ 535.707153] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 3)
[ 572.853881] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x50/80; link 1
[ 572.853973] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 0)
[ 572.854492] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[ 572.854492] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[ 574.271423] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0xd0/208; link 2
[ 574.271453] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 2)
[ 574.394683] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 3)
[ 576.283843] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 2)
[ 576.386016] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[ 576.386047] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[ 576.386260] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 3)

I haven't had problems with moving the cable around, even by applying light pressure to the connection to the N900.

Probably the weirdest thing is that the device will always charge off the HP TouchPad charger, but neither of my Nokia chargers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty