huh what do u mean? u think im not using a att sim card do i really need to make a a video to prove it -_-?

if i had a t mobile sim why would it show AT&T 3G -_-

It is not possible that he is locking to LTE. N900 is not LTE capable. That is a fact. The radios are not made for that. Also, it cannot lock to the AT&T 3G network. It is not something about sw, it is about hw. Now, AT&T got some space in the 700 MHz spectrum back in 2008. This is most likely the freq they will use for their LTE deployment. (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25428). I would say that you are using the app to change the operator name. Btw, the operator name changes if you travel outside the US. The only way in which this would not change here in the US is by an agreement with T-Mobile which I seriously doubt. In that way, the T-Mobile network would detect an IMSI that belongs to an AT&T SIM and then send back the AT&T operator name. This does not sound logical but I have not tested this myself. One question, why the map that you are using to prove your speed shows that you connected to some server near Kansas if you say you are in Reno? Did I miss something?

@depu. 4G is a broad term. It can refer to more than one technology. LTE and Wi-Max are two examples of 4G technologies.

Originally Posted by jomnoc View Post
It is not possible that he is locking to LTE. N900 is not LTE capable. That is a fact. The radios are not made for that. Also, it cannot lock to the AT&T 3G network. It is not something about sw, it is about hw. Now, AT&T got some space in the 700 MHz spectrum back in 2008. This is most likely the freq they will use for their LTE deployment. (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25428). I would say that you are using the app to change the operator name. Btw, the operator name changes if you travel outside the US. The only way in which this would not change here in the US is by an agreement with T-Mobile which I seriously doubt. In that way, the T-Mobile network would detect an IMSI that belongs to an AT&T SIM and then send back the AT&T operator name. This does not sound logical but I have not tested this myself. One question, why the map that you are using to prove your speed shows that you connected to some server near Kansas if you say you are in Reno? Did I miss something?

@depu. 4G is a broad term. It can refer to more than one technology. LTE and Wi-Max are two examples of 4G technologies.
i could not find out how to use the mouse to select an area closer to me

well im lost it will connect downtown but not at my house maybe i was roaming on t mobile? who knows -_- but i ran a speedtest and it showed att so i dont get it lol whatever i give up im just letting people know what happend not trying to get attn or anything like that

i live up in cali and make it into town only once a week or so.

i was smack dab in the middle of downtown when i couldnt get 2g to work (harrahs)

Originally Posted by Sheon View Post
another N900 user in reno yay i thought i was all alone here lol maybe we should meet up and do a test downtown sometime lol

heres a question for ya:

yesterday when i was in reno manually searching for networks is it possible my eyes tricked me and it really listed 2G at&t/3G at&t instead of 2G twice? of course theres no 3g so maybe my brain just didnt look close enough? i did think it was odd that it saw two 2g networks. i dismissed it as an artifact of fMMS

i'll check it out next time im in town. wish i saw this thread a few days ago, wifey and i were both in town with our n900s on sunday

can anyone else do a manual search and see AT&T 3G pop up?

fwiw, i just looked. i do in fact have two listings for 2G. not in reno right now, about 50 miles away

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2008 @ SF Bay Area, USA
There is a possible explanation for this. The OP may have been roaming on T-Mobile, without knowing.

Back in the day, VoiceStream (now acquired by T-Mobile) and Cingular shared GSM infrastructure. However once Cingular bought AT&T Wireless Services ("AT&T Blue"), they had to sell the rights to that network to VoiceStream for antitrust reasons, and instead adopted the old ATTWS network. As we know, Cingular is now (yet again) AT&T.

Long sordid history, but the end result is that with an AT&T SIM (and especially on Nokia phones), the T-Mobile network (MNC 310-260) shows up as "AT&T" (just like AT&T's own MNC 310-410).

Last edited by Hlorri; 2010-01-20 at 10:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hlorri For This Useful Post: