Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
<cap's opinion>
First off let me state that I have no loyalties.

Second, that I think it's an interesting platform, but too many flaws that far outweigh the benefit of screen resolution, processor speed, and memory.

The problem (for me) is that shrinking down the desktop to the size of a handheld results in a handicapped desktop. Tiny menus and an on-screen keyboard (??) is not my idea of increased functionality. Considering that the majority of windows apps are designed that there will be a mouse and a keyboard in mind, it almost demands that you carry these around with you to have full access to your apps.

Maemo is designed as being a mobile OS whereas Windows isn't. When I'm playing music on my tablet, and I get a call, the music pauses. Many of my chosen apps can be manipulated with the finger. I don't need to shut down the NIT or put it in stand-by when I stop using it. The NIT has a stand built in (I use this feature OFTEN).

Additionally it's a bit too fat to be 'pocketable' and size is a characteristic I look for. Honestly, I think the N810 is around the maximum size I can tolerate, but I couldn't see lugging this beast's thickness around along with a keyboard and mouse, without some sort of man-purse... or maybe a European carry-all . The moment I'm forced to carry my device in a bag, I'd rather have a 12 or 13" laptop/tablet.

It's a fine idea, just a little green behind the ears. As a mobile computer, the NIT stands untouched. It's a wonderful combination of mobile-size and mobile-function. This unit *almost* has the size down.
</cap's opinion>

YARR!
}:^)~
uCapt'n

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
In response to my above quote:

With Android being installed on netbooks, it would be a great operating system to put on this MID and alleviate many of the portable OS problems.

I still give Maemo the edge, and prefer the form factor and features of the NITs, but I admit that with Android (or other mobile OSs), this platform isn't far off the mark. This is why I assume that in one generation or so, the field will be quite different. With the current MIDs being released, it's likely that the mobile OSs evolution will make the choice of platform one based on hardware rather than software.

YARR!
}:^)~
Kernap'n

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
you could even install Mer on that ...

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Portland, OR
out of the first round of intel based MID/UMPC type things that don't fall into the "netbook" category, this one seems to be the best put together with the best hardware selections of the group. The Aigo/gigabyte/compal device is the form factor i want, but doesn't have the battery life that viliv ended up with.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
There have been several intel based MID/UMPC designs that don't fall into the netbook category. Most of them predate the Atom, however.

Samsung Q1, Q1 Ultra
Sony Viao UX
OQO's line
Gigabyte's older slider (that's similar to the OQO and Sony)
WiBrain's brick/tablet (now owned by iKing I think)
a few other non-sliding/non-convertible tablets of varying sizes from lesser names than Sony and Samsung.

just got my umpc today and damn i love this thing its so small and easily fits in ur pocket ><

CPU:
1.33GHz Intel Atom Z520
RAM: 1GB DDR2ез
Storage: 60GB HDD
Display: 4.8" touchscreen (1024 x 600) with haptic feedback
Wireless: 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, GPS
Size: 6.1" x 3.3" x 0.96"
Weight: 0.9 lbs. with battery

lol only really reason i got it is cause SNSD has it -_- and i can take mnet whereever u go i love it

i was able to tether my phone via bluetooth and listen to music all day today outside and when i got home i still had about 20% battery and the screen was on all day and i was playing with it non stop >_<

since its a computer it plays everything out of the box which is nice ^^

came with so many things car mount, case, car charger, extra battery, Streetdeck (GPS Software) which is very nice >< some screen protectors and headphones ^^

i paid 475$ from ebay >_<

the screen does take time to get used to -_-

[IMG=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9771/20100202004.jpg][/IMG]

i have this tethered to my nokia n900 using bluetooth on t mobile internet ><

i can get all day out of the laptop listing to mnet player (mnet is like napster streaming mp3s online)

and i text on the phone all day and make some calls and the phone is about half way dead when i get home so it works out great for me ><

Checkout Pocketables.net's forums for great customization tips and hidden gems on the Viliv.. I love mine

**** thanks man lol i been looking for a S5 forum forever -_-

Does it have a cam?? What's the quality? What phone carrier?? And is it fast when browsing the web?

no camera it can be used with any 3G sim card but i prefer to tether it with my n900

the web is just like on the computer so yes its fast