Ok guys, here's the latest scoop I got from CES 2008. From talking with some Internet Tablet Product Managers at the Nokia booth, there seems to be some clear indication that a WiMAX Internet Tablet is coming soon. How soon? How about the second quarter of this year? It will be using Sprint's WiMAX, now called XOHM WiMAX as announced at CES 2008. Here are some text from the XOHM - Nokia partner page:In collaboration with Xohm, Nokia is developing WiMAX-enabled devices that will offer users on-the-go broadband access to the information and services important to them.Note however that XOHM WiMAX is currently running only at Chicago, Baltimore, and Washington DC but its launch to major US cities will soon follow. There is still no info about the device itself. The specs and how it looks are still very much confidential. As for CES 2008, A last minute trip made me catch the last day of the event. I have posted pics of the Nokia booth over at the gallery.
Read the full article.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Excellent news. I wonder if Nokia will also offer this device in other countries? If not, then Nokia is limiting its sales on this device severely. There are more countries out there with better WiMax deployment than the USA.

Hey do you think they will have a special pricing on devices that they provide to a select number of those in the community? And do you think they will mess it up as badly as the current one?

Sorry they could be releasing the wimax n8x0 tomorrow and I could not care less. Nokia lost this consumer. And I was really excited about the wimax n8x0 when I first heard about it. Now I'm looking to Asus EEE with WiMax, or something else.

Not to sound smug...but this has been known since last october.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-14 at 16:18.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Actually this has been known since last oktober.
Yes, there were rumors of a WiMAX device late last year. A lot were disappointed though when the N810 came out without WiMAX. There were even news that WiMAX was in limbo since Sprint's CEO was stepping down.

WiMAX got reborn through XOHM. This is the first time however that Nokia is acknowledging an internet tablet with WiMAX.

Expect other devices (non-Nokia) using XOHM WiMAX also launching this year.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Wonder if this will be an add-on or will it leave a bunch of us out in the cold? I also wonder if Sprint really knows how to price this competitively or not.

Excellent news! My guess is that its just the N800 and N810 with WiMax added.

What will be more interesting to see is how Nokia and Sprint bundle it with the Xohm service.. subsidized prices, monthly fees? Hmm.. not sure if that would be a good bundle.

Addon would be perfect. I just ordered a n800.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I wonder what sort of "Kindle effect" the tablet would have now that it is completely self contained (i.e. not needing WiFi or a cel phone to communicate)?

I live in the XOHM target area.

Lessee...A small, self-powered, mini-USB dongle for my N800 & laptop w/ a reasonable online rate...

(prob. about as likely as winning Powerball...)

(follow-up - looks like these will be more than just a mini-dongle )

Last edited by lad; 2008-01-14 at 18:43.