Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I've been working on the software side of things for a while and haven't been looking at hardware development since the USB OTG/wired ethernet days... but for a new project I'm working on I came across the need for a USB multi-card reader for my N800. SD is great, but if you have lots of people eventually you'll run into somebody who's got another odd/goofy card. This is even worse if you've got an N810, where full size SD isn't a ready option.

So I went back to some hardware that I had kicking around from my OTG days, made a few modifications, and have come up with a pretty straightforward way to build a battery powered USB card reader/3 port hub combo device! A bit of soldering and some creative thinking, but I tested a prototype and it does work quite well. So here's my question... is there anyone around these days who's interested in such a device still, or is everyone now in the N900/noMoreUSBDevices mindset? I'd be offering the USB device in two parts on my website:
$20 - USB Card Reader/3 port Hub combo with external power supply... works with USB OTG on N8x0 devices, but needs somewhere to plug the power supply in.
$25 - "long life" "AA" to 5V battery adapter to connect to card reader/USB hub. Combine this with the above card reader and you've got a completely portable card reader/USB hub solution.
$10 - "economy" 9V to 5V battery adapter for card reader/USB hub. Same as the AA option, but since 9V batteries are generally lower capacity/less efficient, you're getting a shorter battery life (about 1/2 - 1/3 of the AA version).

Does anyone think that makes sense/is worth while for me to be offering, or is there no demand for this type of thing?...
Please post and let me know!

Thanks!

You forgot the option to make it work with an N900... Sigh

What kind of current output on your AA powersupply, or is it still under design? :-)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
What kind of current output on your AA powersupply, or is it still under design? :-)
The AA powersupply would give a max of about 500-600ma... which means it would power the card reader and have enough juice to let you use the full 500mA of one usb port on the hub if you really really wanted to... or of course all three ports on the hub if you're drawing less... but basically 500mA to go around as needed. Also keep in mind at that current level you're looking maybe 2-3hrs tops for really good AA batteries.

I would be interested in purchasing a battery powered CF card reader, as would other photographers who own an iPad.

Albert.........

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
hmmm... what about an external battery powered usb 3G modem..

Hello,

Very interested. I am working on a setup to have my Hasselblad camera CF cards being read on an iPad.

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Please email me directly at
oliver@incredibletravelphotos.com

Thanks in advance.

Oliver Klink.